categories - Category Theory list
* Re: locales such that the associated topos is subdiscrete?
@ 2020-06-09  9:09 Jens Hemelaer
From: Jens Hemelaer @ 2020-06-09  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: streicher; +Cc: categories

I do not have a reference, but I think these are precisely the complete boolean algebras.

Glue two copies of the locale X along an open subset U, and call the result  Y. Then Y can be seen as an object of Sh(X). The intersection of the two copies of X inside Y is equal to U (from one of Giraud's axioms).

On the other hand, we can write Y as a sum of open subsets of X (the "terms" of Y). And we can similarly write X as a sum of open subsets ("terms") such that each term of X gets mapped into a term of Y. Now we can compute U as the sum of those terms of X that are mapped to the same term of Y along the two inclusions in Y. The disjoint union of the other terms of X then form the complement of U.

Best regards,
Jens