categories - Category Theory list
* Fully funded PhD positions at Tallinn University of Technology
@ 2020-06-23 12:13 Fosco Loregian
From: Fosco Loregian @ 2020-06-23 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The Compositional Systems and Methods group at the Tallinn University of
Technology, Estonia (https://compose.ioc.ee) is seeking highly qualified
PhD candidates.

The ideal student should have a solid grounding in category theory, and in
at least one of the following areas: programming languages, concurrency
theory, quantum computing, database and information systems, and machine
learning.

The group is led by Prof Pawel Sobocinski, has two postdoctoral
researchers, Dr Edward Morehouse (https://emorehouse.wescreates.wesleyan.edu)
and Dr Fosco Loregian (http://tetrapharmakon.github.io), and four PhD
students: Elena Di Lavore, Dr Nathan Haydon, Chad Nester and Mario Román.
One additional postdoctoral researcher will be recruited in the autumn of
2020. Our research is supported by the ESF funded Estonian IT Academy
research measure.

The group's lingua franca is category theory and our research concerns both
mathematical foundations, as well as various applications in computer
science and related disciplines. We are working on relational algebra and
functorial semantics, open games, process languages for smart contracts,
string diagrams, compositional descriptions of models of computation and
concurrency, lenses and optics in functional programming, type theory, and
several other topics.

The group's ethos emphasises openness, and inter-group collaboration is
highly encouraged. We maintain an active member-led seminar series (
https://compose.ioc.ee/seminars/), hold regular group meetings, research
retreats and saunas in the Estonian countryside, and various cross-cutting
research activities.

The successful students will be awarded a generous stipend, provided with
computing equipment and resources for travelling to conferences, summer
schools, and other events relevant to their projects.

Applicants should hold a Masters degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or
a closely related field. To apply, send a CV and a motivation letter,
outlining your research interests, to Pawel Sobocinski <
pawel.sobocinski@taltech.ee>.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 31, 2020
STARTING DATE: November 2020 or as per agreement

Pawel Sobocinski
Fosco Loregian

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-06-23 12:13 UTC | newest]