categories - Category Theory list
* announcing the (virtual) JHU category theory seminar
@ 2020-09-03 19:08 Emily Riehl
From: Emily Riehl @ 2020-09-03 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear colleagues,

The Johns Hopkins category theory seminar is a "topics course" in
intermediate/advanced category theory, aimed at mathematics graduate
students who have taken a first course or who have read an introductory
book. Talks are given by the student-attendees, often on material they are
learning for the first time. Interruptions to ask questions are highly
encouraged. You can see a record of our past activities here:

http://www.math.jhu.edu/~eriehl/ct

This semester, the category theory seminar will meet virtually, and my
students have suggested I invite other category-learners to join them. The
seminar will meet on Wednesdays from 21-23pm UTC (which is Thursday morning
in certain parts of the world). The talk itself will take place from
21:15-22:15, with the rest of the time reserved for discussion and
socializing.

The planned talks have been announced here

https://researchseminars.org/seminar/blue-jay-cat

where you can click on a link that conveys you directly into the zoom room.
(Note that if you create a profile at researchseminars.org, the times will
be displayed in your local time zone.)

Alternatively, I will share connection information with those on the
seminar mailing list. Please send me an email if you would like to be added.

Finally, you'll note that all of the speakers in the seminar are Johns
Hopkins affiliates. This is a deliberate choice, motivated largely by a
desire to slim-down the seminar this term, virtual talks being considerably
more exhausting than in-person ones. That said, we'd enjoy having the
opportunity to get to know other budding category theorists elsewhere, so
if you're interested, please join us (with the warning that we may ask you
to introduce yourself).

All the best,
Emily Riehl

--
Associate Professor, Dept. of Mathematics
Johns Hopkins University

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-09-03 19:08 UTC | newest]