categories - Category Theory list
* quiver: a new commutative diagram editor
@ 2020-11-25 16:39 Nathanael Arkor
From: Nathanael Arkor @ 2020-11-25 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

[-- Attachment #1: Type: multipart/alternative, Size: 1297 bytes --]

* Re: quiver: a new commutative diagram editor
@ 2020-11-26 14:59 ` Nathanael Arkor
From: Nathanael Arkor @ 2020-11-26 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear all,

Apologies in advance to those receiving this email for the second time.
My previous email was malformed and many people were unable to read it:
this time I have used a different email client, which I hope will
address the problem.

I would like to share a tool I have been developing for drawing
commutative and pasting diagrams, which makes creating and modifying
even large pasting diagrams essentially painless. Once drawn, the
diagrams can be exported to LaTeX.

The diagram editor is called quiver, and may be found here:
https://q.uiver.app/

My desire is to make typesetting commutative diagrams as easy as drawing
them by hand, and to cut down on the wasted time spent creating them in
tikz-cd, xymatrix or TikZ.

The editor is intended to be intuitive to use, but if you have any
questions, please do send me an email. I would be glad to receive
feedback (both general, and specific requests or issues), either by
email or through the issue tracker:
https://github.com/varkor/quiver/issues

Here are some basic tips to get started:
- Click and drag to create new arrows (the objects are created
automatically).
- Edit labels with the input bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on an object or arrow to select it. (Hold shift to select
multiple at once.)
- Double-click to create a new object on its own.
- Click and drag in the empty space around an object to move it around
(along with any arrows connected to it).
- Drag the endpoints of an arrow to connect it to a different object.

One closing request. There are some scenarios for which quiver does not
yet emit LaTeX that perfectly matches the original diagram (e.g.
diagrams involving 3-cells or higher), because I lack the necessary
expertise to replicate these styles with TikZ. If anyone adept with TikZ
would like to make quiver even better by working with me to improve the
LaTeX output, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you, and I hope you find quiver useful!

Nathanael Arkor