categories - Category Theory list
* The language of diagrams
@ 2020-12-11  8:07 Uwe Egbert Wolter
From: Uwe Egbert Wolter @ 2020-12-11  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Dear all,

only some weeks ago I became aware of "the language of diagrams"
introduced in  "Categories, allegories" by Freyd/Scedrov.

Two questions:
1. Is this the first place where this language has been described and
defined?
2. Has this language been further elaborated and/or applied at other
places?

Best regards

Uwe

* Re: The language of diagrams
@ 2020-12-12  5:38 ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2020-12-12  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Egbert Wolter; +Cc: categories list

Hi Uwe,

1. No. It was introduced in:

    P. Freyd. "Properties Invariant within Equivalence Types of
    Categories". In: Algebra, Topology and Category Theory: A
    Collection of Papers in Honour of Samuel Eilenberg. Ed. by A.
    Heller and M. Tierney. Academic Press, 1976, pp. 55-61.

2. I am interested in the answer of this question too... can you share
    your answers with the list? I use Freyd's language a lot, with the
    modifications described here:

      http://angg.twu.net/math-b.html#favorite-conventions
      https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.15836

Cheers =),