categories - Category Theory list
* New York City Category Theory Seminar.... Spring 2021 Lineup
@ 2021-02-07  1:14 Noson Yanofsky
From: Noson Yanofsky @ 2021-02-07  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The New York City

Category Theory Seminar

YouTube Channel: here.
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOfhimbNwZwJO2ltv1AZOw/videos>

Webpage: http://www.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~noson/CTseminar.html

Information also here: https://researchseminars.org/seminar/Category_Theory

  <http://cs.gc.cuny.edu> Department of Computer Science
  <http://math.gc.cuny.edu/> Department of Mathematics
  <http://www.gc.cuny.edu/> The Graduate Center of The City University of New
York

THE TALKS WILL ALL BE DONE ON ZOOM THIS SEMESTER.

THIS WEEKS ZOOM INFORMATION:
Topic: New York City Category Theory Seminar
Time: Wednesdays 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
  <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81139396554>
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81139396554

Meeting ID: 811 3939 6554
Passcode: NYCCTS

Usually our talks take place at
365 Fifth Avenue (at 34th Street)
<http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GFRC_enUS206
US206&q=365+Fifth+Avenue,+ny&um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title>
map
(Diagonally across from the Empire State Building)
New York, NY 10016-4309

   _____

   _____

Spring 2021

   _____

   _____

*  Speaker:     Jason Parker, Brandon University in Manitoba.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday February 3, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    Isotropy Groups of Quasi-Equational Theories.

*  Abstract: In [2], my PhD supervisors (Pieter Hofstra and Philip Scott)
and I studied the new topos-theoretic phenomenon of isotropy (as introduced
in [1]) in the context of single-sorted algebraic theories, and we gave a
logical/syntactic characterization of the isotropy group of any such theory,
thereby showing that it encodes a notion of inner automorphism or
conjugation for the theory. In the present talk, I will summarize the
results of my recent PhD thesis, in which I build on this earlier work by
studying the isotropy groups of (multi-sorted) quasi-equational theories
(also known as essentially algebraic, cartesian, or finite limit theories).
In particular, I will show how to give a logical/syntactic characterization
of the isotropy group of any such theory, and that it encodes a notion of
inner automorphism or conjugation for the theory. I will also describe how I
have used this characterization to exactly characterize the 'inner
automorphisms' for several different examples of quasi-equational theories,
most notably the theory of strict monoidal categories and the theory of
presheaves valued in a category of models. In particular, the latter example
provides a characterization of the (covariant) isotropy group of a category
of set-valued presheaves, which had been an open question in the theory of
categorical isotropy.

[1] J. Funk, P. Hofstra, B. Steinberg. Isotropy and crossed toposes. Theory
and Applications of Categories 26, 660-709, 2012.

[2] P. Hofstra, J. Parker, P.J. Scott. Isotropy of algebraic theories.
Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science 341, 201-217, 2018.

   _____

*  Speaker:     Peter Hines, University of York.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday February 10, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    Shuffling cards as an operad.

*  Abstract: The theory of how two packs of cards may be shuffled together
to form a single pack has been remarkably well-studied in combinatorics,
group theory, statistics, and other areas of mathematics. This talk aims to
study natural extensions where 1/ We may have infinitely many cards in a
deck, 2/ We may take the result of a previous shuffle as one of our decks of
cards (i.e. shuffles are hierarchical), and 3/ There may even be an infinite
number of decks of cards.

Far from being 'generalisation for generalisation's sake', the original
motivation came from theoretical & practical computer science. The
mathematics of card shuffles is commonly used to describe processing in
multi-threaded computations. Moving to the infinite case gives a language in
which one may talk about potentially non-terminating processes, or servers
with an unbounded number of clients, etc.

However, this talk is entirely about algebra & category theory -- just as in
the finite case, the mathematics is of interest in its own right, and should
be studied as such.

We model shuffles using operads. The intuition behind them of allowing for
arbitrary n-ary operations that compose in a hierarchical manner makes them
a natural, inevitable choice for describing such processes such as merging
multiple packs of cards.

We use very concrete examples, based on endomorphism operads in groupoids of
arithmetic operations. The resulting structures are at the same time both
simple (i.e. elementary arithmetic operations), and related to deep
structures in mathematics and category theory (topologies, tensors,
coherence, associahedra, etc.)

We treat this as a feature, not a bug, and use it to describe complex
structures in elementary terms. We also aim to give previously unobserved
connections between distinct areas of mathematics.

   _____

*  Speaker:     Richard Blute, University of Ottawa.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday February 17, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:     Finiteness Spaces, Generalized Polynomial Rings and
Topological Groupoids.

*  Abstract: The category of finiteness spaces was introduced by Thomas
Ehrhard as a model of classical linear logic, where a set is equipped with a
class of subsets to be thought of as finitary. Morphisms are relations
preserving the finitary structure. The notion of finitary subset allows for
a sharp analysis of computational structure.

Working with finiteness spaces forces the number of summands in certain
calculations to be finite and thus avoid convergence questions. An excellent
example of this is how Ribenboim's theory of generalized power series rings
can be naturally interpreted by assigning finiteness monoid structure to his
partially ordered monoids. After Ehrhard's linearization construction is
applied, the resulting structures are the rings of Ribenboim's construction.

There are several possible choices of morphism between finiteness spaces. If
one takes structure-preserving partial functions, the resulting category is
complete, cocomplete and symmetric monoidal closed. Using partial functions,
we are able to model topological groupoids, when we consider composition as
a partial function. We can associate to any hemicompact etale Hausdorff
groupoid a complete convolution ring. This is in particular the case for the
infinite paths groupoid associated to any countable row-finite directed
graph.

   _____

*  Speaker:     Joshua Sussan, Medgar Evers, CUNY.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday March 3, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    Categorification and quantum topology.

*  Abstract: The Jones polynomial of a link could be defined through the
representation theory of quantum sl(2). It leads to a 3-manifold invariant
and 2+1 dimensional TQFT. In the mid 1990s, Crane and Frenkel outlined the
categorification program with the aim of constructing a 3+1 dimensional TQFT
by upgrading the representation theory of quantum sl(2) to some categorical
structures. We will review these ideas and give examples of various
categorifications of quantum sl(2) constructions.

   _____

*  Speaker:     *** ***.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday March 10, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    ****.

*  Abstract: ***

   _____

*  Speaker:     Tobias Fritz, University of Innsbruck.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday March 17, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    Categorical Probability and the de Finetti Theorem.

*  Abstract: I will give an introduction to categorical probability in terms
of Markov categories, followed by a discussion of the classical de Finetti
theorem within that framework. Depending on whether current ideas work out
or not, I may (or may not) also present a sketch of a purely categorical
proof of the de Finetti theorem based on the law of large numbers. Joint
work with Tomáš Gonda, Paolo Perrone and Eigil Fjeldgren Rischel.

   _____

*  Speaker:     *** ***.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday March 24, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    ****.

*  Abstract: ***

   _____

*  Speaker:     *** ***.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday April 7, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    ****.

*  Abstract: ***

   _____

*  Speaker:     Ross Street, Macquarie University.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday April 14, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    Absolute colimits for differential graded categories.

*  Abstract: TBA

   _____

*  Speaker:     *** ***.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday April 21, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    ****.

*  Abstract: ***

   _____

*  Speaker:     *** ***.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday April 28, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:    ****.

*  Abstract: ***

   _____

*  Speaker:     Juan Orendain, University of Mexico, UNAM.

*  Date and Time:     Wednesday May 5, 2021, 7:00 - 8:30 PM., on Zoom.

*  Title:     Categorical General Boundary Formulation.

*  Abstract: The General Boundary Formulation, or GBF for short, is an
axiomatic framework for physical theories based on the principles of
locality and operationalism. It extends the classical formulation for
quantum mechanics in order to accomodate concepts from general relativity.
In this talk I will argue that theories in the GBF should be thought of as
'object values' of more general theories defined in terms of involutive
symmetric monoidal functors. We call such theories equivariant local field
theories. I will further explain how part of the data of an equivariant
local field theory can be expressed through a form of lax equivariant TQFT
in the form of an involutive symmetric monoidal double functor defined on
the double category of bordisms.

I will not assume prior knowledge of quantum field theory or double
categories.

The following are references for the General Boundary Formulaion:

[1] R. Oeckl, A "general boundary" formulation for quantum mechanics and
quantum gravity, Physics Letters B, 575, 3-4,(2003) 318-324
[2] R. Oeckl, A local and operational framework for the foundations of
physics, Adv. Theor. Math. Phys. 23 (2019) 437-592

   _____

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-02-07  1:14 UTC | newest]