categories - Category Theory list
From: Steve Vickers <s.j.vickers@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: David Roberts <droberts.65537@gmail.com>
Cc: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: PhD positions at Leicester, UK
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:16:17 +0100	[thread overview]

One of the ironies … No, I’m being polite. One of the particular stupidities of the plans is that Leicester has always had close connections between CS and pure maths. Simona Paoli, one of the main category theorists in pure maths there, founded the Yorkshire and Midlands Category Theory  Seminar, YaMCATS, which involved their CS department and now includes the School of CS at Birmingham.

That’s an existing research strength of Leicester that has a role to  play even in the envisaged “future research identity”, yet the plans are to kill it off.

The VC, Prof. Nishan Canagarajah, is an engineer whose field is multimedia signal processing: so it seems clear that these plans are his baby. But his dreams are blinding him to the organic reality of the Leicester University that he is supposed to be leading.

Steve Vickers.