categories - Category Theory list
From: David Yetter <dyetter@ksu.edu>
To: "categories@mta.ca" <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: PhD positions at Leicester, UK
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 20:13:30 +0000	[thread overview]

As the saying goes Americans and the British are two peoples united by the Atlantic Ocean and divided by a common language.  Simona Paoli wrote to me privately to clarify that in British usage "compulsory redundancy" is not firing, which in British usage applies only to dismissal for cause.

Over on my side of the pond "fired" is ambiguous, including both dismissal for cause and the analogue of British compulsory redundancy, while "laid off" (the term used in David Roberts's post) at least sometimes implies the possibility of being recalled to the same job.  Differences in language and employment law make things hard to communicate precisely, but I wanted to make clear that the circumstances were more dire than what Americans might read in hearing of "lay-offs".

I really wish our budget circumstances at K-State were better so I could advocate hiring mathematicians from U. Leicester with some hope of success.  Anyone on this list whose university is bucking the global trend and actually able to hire new faculty (academic staff) despite the pandemic should be  advocating doing just that.

Best Thoughts,
David Yetter