categories - Category Theory list
From: ptj@maths.cam.ac.uk
To: Steven Vickers <s.j.vickers.1@bham.ac.uk>
Cc: categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Terminology for point-free topology?
Date: 21 Jan 2023 19:42:15 +0000	[thread overview]

I was wondering how long it would be before someone in this thread
referred to my `point of pointless topology' paper! Perhaps not so many
people know that the title was a conscious echo of an earlier paper
by Mike Barr called `The point of the empty set', which began with the
words (I quote from memory) `The point is, there isn't any point there;
that's exactly the point'.

As Steve says, to fit that title I had to use the word `pointless', but
on the whole I prefer `pointfree'; it carries the implication that you
are free to work without points or to use them (in a generalized sense),
as you prefer.

Peter Johnstone