categories - Category Theory list
* categories: Online workshop on (oo,2)-categories for graduate (Master and PhD) students
@ 2023-05-05 13:58 Nima Rasekh
From: Nima Rasekh @ 2023-05-05 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear junior higher category enthusiasts,

We are organizing an online working group on models of (oo,2)-categories to take place in Fall 2023 and we are calling for participants!

The goal of the working group is to bring together about 10 graduate (Master and PhD) students, who would each give an online talk. The focus will be on (some of) the different approaches to the notion of an (oo,2)-category, and how they relate to each other, possibly ending with a couple of talks on applications. Each speaker will be assigned a talk outline, and will be matched to an early career mentor who will help them  prepare the talk. You can have a look at the links below to know more about the format that we have in mind and to see a tentative list of topics and mentors.

List of topics: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eVSy6pIbAAnJ4bjaiiodx56ZZS52Un0G/

List of mentors: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JPWenasc5QO0bL9oBDukBJKotAeno8g8/

We are happy to announce the following list of confirmed mentors:

Luciana Basualdo Bonatto (Max-Planck-Institut für Mathematik)
Tim Campion (Johns Hopkins University)
Brandon Doherty (Stockholms universitet)
Félix Loubaton (Université de Nice Sophia-Antipolis)
Yuki Maehara (Kyushu University)
Lyne Moser (Universität Regensburg)
Joost Nuiten (IMT, Université Paul-Sabatier)
Morgan Opie (University of California, Los Angeles)
Maru Sarazola (Johns Hopkins University)
Brandon Shapiro (Topos Institute)
Walker Stern (University of Virginia)

The talks will be about one hour each, and will take place in (Northern  Hemisphere) Fall 2023. The schedule will be decided once the list of participants is finalized, but the tentative plan is to meet once a week  for about five-six weeks, having two talks during each meeting. The default starting time would be around 10AM Eastern Time Zone, but we will  adjust depending on the speaker’s needs when this is inconvenient. We plan to assign the talks by the end of May, so each speaker will have several months to prepare their talk.

To apply, you should be a graduate student who has at least some familiarity with strict 2-categories or oo-categories in some form. We ask that you write a couple of paragraphs about yourself and that you attach your CV. We particularly encourage graduate students from underrepresented groups to apply.

If you are interested in participating, please fill out the google form  by May 28, letting us know your preferences.

Google form: https://forms.gle/2okxbKLWtpP55o12A

We hope many will apply, and don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

Best,
Lyne Moser, Nima Rasekh and Martina Rovelli

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-05-05 20:15 UTC | newest]