categories - Category Theory list
* categories: Re: Peter Aczel
@ 2023-08-03  8:46 amp12
From: amp12 @ 2023-08-03  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I was very saddened to read the news of Peter Aczel's death.

I greatly admired his work, not only for its content but also for its clarity. His promotion of informal rigorous reasoning in type theory that Andrej Bauer mentioned in another post is an example. He also had very nice handwriting! -- I found this out
when he very generously shared some of his unpublished work with me when I was a graduate student in the late 70s and early 80s. (He later examined my PhD thesis.)

RIP, Peter.

Andrew M. Pitts
Professor of Theoretical Computer Science
Department of Computer Science and Technology
University of Cambridge
William Gates Building
15 JJ Thomson Ave
Cambridge CB3 0FD, UK

> On 3 Aug 2023, at 08:42, Nicola Gambino <Nicola.Gambino@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear colleagues and friends,
>
> I write to let you know of the sad news that Peter Aczel passed away on August 1st.
>
> As readers of this list surely know, Peter made many fundamental and deeply influential contributions to Logic, Computer Science, Category Theory, and Constructive Mathematics.
>
> I had the good fortune of having him as PhD supervisor and we remained in contact since then. I always admired his clarity of thinking and his kindness. He will be deeply missed.
>
> With best regards,
> Nicola
>
> =
> Dr Nicola Gambino
> Department of Mathematics, University of Manchester

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-08-05 22:20 UTC | newest]