categories - Category Theory list
* Another question about Kan
@ 2011-09-13 14:28 Michael Barr
       [not found] ` <4DE63475093E3CCF@smtp205.alice.it>
From: Michael Barr @ 2011-09-13 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Is the following known?

An equational category has the property that every simplicial object is
Kan iff it is a Mal'cev category.  This means that there is a ternary
operation I call <-,-,-> such that <x,y,y> = x and <x,x,y> = y.  In a
sense this is not surprising.  The Kan condition makes homotopy an
equivalence relation.  The degeneracies make homotopy reflexive and
Mal'cev categories are characterized by the fact that every reflexive
binary relation is an equivalence relation.

Michael

* Re: Another question about Kan
@ 2011-09-14  7:55 ` Aurelio Carboni
       [not found] ` <4DE63475093E3CCF@smtp205.alice.it>
From: Aurelio Carboni @ 2011-09-14  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr; +Cc: categories

Yes, it is in my paper with Kelly and Pedicchio
'Some Remarks on Maltsev and Goursat Categories',
(Applied Mathematical Structures 1, 385-421, 1993)
where it is proved more generally for regular categories
(Theorem 4.2, p. 404).
                             Aurelio Carboni

       [not found]   ` <4E259C1B048C4215@smtp204.alice.it>
@ 2011-09-14 15:36     ` Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2011-09-14 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelio Carboni; +Cc: categories

Since it is a Springer journal, there is no way I can see the article.

I would point out that every paper of mine since 1986 along with many
earlier ones are available on my ftp site:
ftp.math.mcgill.ca/pub/barr/pdffiles.  Perhaps I will go ahead and try to
publish my proof anyway, since it will be accessible.

Michael

       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.64.1109140932260.8448@msr03.math.mcgill.ca>
@ 2011-09-14 14:45 ` Aurelio Carboni
From: Aurelio Carboni @ 2011-09-14 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)