categories - Category Theory list
From: categories <cat-dist@mta.ca>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Query
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 15:14:42 -0300 (ADT)	[thread overview]

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:49:21 -0700
From: Michael J. Healy 206-865-3123 <mjhealy@redwood.rt.cs.boeing.com>

Since there have been some replies to the query about artificial perception,
I suppose it's OK to mention my own work in progress.  I have been doing
research in the formal semantics of neural networks.  I am working on a
mathematical model in which concepts (formulas) are formed in memory as
colimits.  The diagrams involve neural structures representing other
concepts, going all the way back to simple percepts.  A concept is stored
in memory as a neuron or neuron pool together with its attendant synaptic
connections.  Logically closed portions of memory are theories.  Functors
and natural transformations enter in in the usual fashion of categorical
model theory.

There is still a lot of work to do on this, and I am still learning the
mathematics.  I do have a proposed neural implementation of it, and am
working on a paper.  Previous work along these lines has involved geometric
logic, so that I could understand some of the basics of learning, which for
me involves working with an observational logic.  I have a paper on this,
too.  Finding reviewers for this kind of material in the neural network
community has been difficult.  If any of this sounds interesting enough
to discuss, I certainly wouldn't mind getting some feedback from category
theorists.

Sincerely,
Mike Healy

Michael J. Healy                          A
                                  FA ----------> GA
(425)865-3123                     |              |
FAX(425)865-2964                  |              |
                               Ff |              | Gf
c/o The Boeing Company            |              |
PO Box 3707  MS 7L-66            \|/            \|/
Seattle, WA 98124-2207            '              '
USA                               FB ----------> GB
                                         e            "I'm a natural man."
michael.j.healy@boeing.com                B
-or-  mjhealy@u.washington.edu