categories - Category Theory list
* correction on category of groups
@ 1997-12-21 20:09 categories
From: categories @ 1997-12-21 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 20:09:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Colin Mclarty <cxm7@po.CWRU.Edu>

	In an earlier post today I misdescribed a way of axiomatizing
the category of groups by the triple for groups over sets. The point is
that you can axiomatize the category of sets and the Eilenberg-Moore
category for the triple for groups over it, and then identify the
category of sets with the non-full subcategory of free groups and
homomorphisms taking generators to generators; so that in a very narrow
sense you would "only be talking about groups and homomorphisms". But
really this amounts to defining groups as structured sets.

	What I want to know is, are there known axioms approaching
the category of groups directly.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-12-21 20:09 UTC | newest]