categories - Category Theory list
From: categories <cat-dist@mta.ca>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: iced categories
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:38:01 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:39:46 -0500
From: P. Scott <scpsg@matrix.cc.uottawa.ca>

Dear Colleagues:
   Peter asked how things are going, so I thought I would
mention what I know.  As you all know, eastern Ontario and
Quebec were hit by a massive ice storm:  Montreal island was
particularly badly hit. Downtown Montreal is apparently in
very bad shape, with large areas still without power. The
island was cut-off physically (all the bridges were down)
for several days, and many downtown hotels are now without
power. Many streets still have downed power-lines, and it is
unsafe in some cases to walk near trees, buildings, or powerlines because of
falling ice. Triples (and McGill) is down, so there is no
e-mail contact for now.  In terms of individuals, I have spoken to many
of the categorists and everyone is ok although several people
(Barr, Prakash,...) are without heat and power
in their homes. They are either staying with friends or rigged-up
some kind of power line from neighbours with electricity at least to run a
heater. But basically Montreal and nearby communities are a disaster area.
the entire South Shore off Montreal has lost its power grid (i.e. transmission
towers twisted like pretzels because of ice); the same happened in parts of
Eastern Ontario as far as Kingston, with disastrous effects on dairy farmers,
etc.
   Here in Ottawa, the situation was bad, although not quite as disastrous
as Montreal.  Forty percent of the trees in Ottawa are damaged, and parts of
Ottawa are still without power (for example, my house since Thursday!). But
downtown is getting back in shape, and Carleton and University of Ottawa
have managed to keep heat. I am still camping-out here in my office for the
near future...

			Keep warm--

			Phil Scott