categories - Category Theory list
From: categories <cat-dist@mta.ca>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: iced categories
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:38:51 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:05:33 +0000 (GMT)
From: J.M. Egger <J.M.Egger@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>

> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 09:56:26 -0500 (EST)
> From: Peter Freyd <pjf@saul.cis.upenn.edu>
>
> Since a good fraction of the world's category theorists are witnessing
> an historic ice-storm, can they tell us how they're faring?

Probably not... `triples.math.mcgill.ca' has been inoperative since before
the ice-storm began, which means that many category-theorists in Montreal
have not been receiving e-mail from this mailing list even before the

[ note from moderator: actually, the list has been reaching the McGill
people - until last week of course... ]

blackouts, etc. began.  I think power has been restored to most of the island
of Montreal (the downtown area lost power at 3pm on Friday, and was still
without it when I left on Saturday evening), but the electrical infrastructure
of the South Shore has been destroyed to the point that it must be replaced
from scratch.  Now that temperatures have dropped to the more usual range for
this time of year, mass evacuation of the hardest-hit areas by the army is a
distinct possibility.