categories - Category Theory list
* RE: sad news
@ 1998-02-02 14:11 categories
From: categories @ 1998-02-02 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 23:49:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Fred E J Linton <FEJLINTON/0004142427@MCIMAIL.COM>

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:04:36 -0500 (EST) Peter Freyd <pjf@saul.cis.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> Sammy Eilenberg died today.

As someone who had long secretly seen Sammy as a sort of second father figure,
I am somewhat unnerved that the date of his death coincided so perfectly
with what would have been exactly my mother's 102nd birthday.

R.i.P.

-- Fred

* Re: Sad news
@ 2001-06-29 22:28 Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2001-06-29 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories, James Stasheff

Dear Jim

Yes, I would like you to convey my sympathy to Muriel and the rest of
Bob Gordon's family at the memorial service.  I did not know Bob had
a serious illness so this comes as a very sad surprise.

My relationship with Bob was a very happy and enjoyable one. John
Power introduced me to him and we started what turned out to be a
huge project which would never have reached completion without Bob's
original contribution, attention to detail, and organization of the
typing.  It was his idea to submit it to Memoirs.  I am proud to have
my name on that paper.

My family and I often recall the fantastic hospitality of the Gordon
family when we visited Pennsylvania. We stayed in their house, were
guests of honour at a great party, and our children liked each other.

Another happy time was the MSRI conference in San Francisco.  Bob and
I stayed in his ex-brother-in-law's beautiful apartment overlooking
Fisherman's Wharf and the Bay.  Bob rented a car and drove a group of
us around the Napa Valley and surrounds.

Bob was always very generous and too often down played his own
ability.  We were happy when Bob came to Australia.  He seemed to
like Sydney.  Brian Day enjoyed talking with Bob on all kinds of
topics (not just mathematics).  Brian also sends his condolences.

I know that Bob had many health problems to suffer during his life
and I was amazed how he rose above them to concentrate on
mathematics.  I know also that he had not made contact for quite some
time but I expected to hear eventually what mathematics he had been
thinking about.  But that is not to be.

Ross

* Sad news
@ 2001-06-29 14:55 jim stasheff
From: jim stasheff @ 2001-06-29 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I regret to inform you that Bob Gordon died last weekend.
He had been diagonosed with cancer, a tumor on the aortic arch
which pressed on the lungs and trachea. He was in an excellent
cancer hospital near Philadelphia.

The chemo and radiation had been producing some improvement.
Up to last Saturday he was stable though very weak. Saturday
morning his blood pressure went up and his heart weakened.
Intensive care was able to stabilize him then suddenly his heart quit.

There is a memorial service Sunday July 1 at the Gordon home. If
you would like me to convey sympathy or relevant anecdotes to his wife
and daughters, just let me know.

jim stasheff

* sad news
@ 1998-01-31 14:56 categories
From: categories @ 1998-01-31 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:04:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Peter Freyd <pjf@saul.cis.upenn.edu>

Sammy Eilenberg died today.

He had been unconscious since June.

Knowing it was inevitable doesn't really help.