categories - Category Theory list
From: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: Jason Parker <jasonparker300@gmail.com>,
	Richard Blute <rblute@uottawa.ca>
Subject: Re: Phil Scott
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 19:49:16 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear all,

To Rick Blute, Robin Cockett and Simon Henry

I am very sad to learn that Phil has left us for another world.
I knew him from the time he was studying with Jim Lambek, about 50 years ago.
I have a good memory of the lively discussions we had in a café in the
Mile-End near McGill. He was always eager to discuss new ideas and
he had an apparent limitless thirst for mathematics.
His book with Lambek, "Introduction Higher Categorical Logic" is a landmark.
He created the school of category theory in Ottawa.

I owe him a personal debt: a few years ago, he took the initiative of presenting
my case to the Jeffery-Willams prize of the CMS, which I won in 2022!
Thank you Phil!

I wish there is a paradise for mathematicians, so they can continue their research.
Phil was a good angel and we need help.

André Joyal