categories - Category Theory list
* re: Dedekind v Cantor
@ 2000-01-24 15:26 Jean-Pierre Marquis
From: Jean-Pierre Marquis @ 2000-01-24 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

>It looks more Dedekind than Cantor to me (why do people think that
>Cauchy had anything to do with this?).

In his "Analyse algebrique" (1821), Cauchy gives the first (still informal)
definition of a limit and says (without proof), in order to illustrate the
concept, that an irrational number is the limit of the various rational
sequences approximating it.  He also gives various criteria for
convergence.  Thus, although Cauchy certainly does not give a rigorous and
formal construction of the reels, people ascribe to him the basic idea.
But then, perhaps Bolzano, Weierstrass, Meray and Heine should also be
mentioned, no?

>But Steve is right when he says
>that the rational numbers don't appear: an incommensurable ratio is
>described as a partitioning of pairs of integers.

A relevant reference here is:
Stein, H., 1990, 'Eudoxus and Dedekind: On the ancient greek theory of
ratios and its relation to modern mathematics', Synthese, 84, 163-211.

Jean-Pierre Marquis

* Dedekind v Cantor
@ 2000-01-22 13:54 Peter Freyd
From: Peter Freyd @ 2000-01-22 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Folklore says that Book V of Euclid's Elements is the best extant
approximation to Eudoxus. The Joyce translation:

                          Euclid's Elements

                                Book V
Definition 5

       Magnitudes are said to be in the same ratio, the first to the
       second and the third to the fourth, when, if any equimultiples
       whatever are taken of the first and third, and any
       equimultiples whatever of the second and fourth, the former
       equimultiples alike exceed, are alike equal to, or alike fall
       short of, the latter equimultiples respectively taken in
       corresponding order.

(http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookV/bookV.html#defs)

It looks more Dedekind than Cantor to me (why do people think that
Cauchy had anything to do with this?). But Steve is right when he says
that the rational numbers don't appear: an incommensurable ratio is
described as a partitioning of pairs of integers.

According to Neugebauer the philosophical Greeks avoided the rationals:
they allowed _ratios_ named by pairs of integers, and they effectively
knew how to multiply ratios; but they considered the addition of ratios
as something allowed only by those entirely unphilosophical
calculators to be found in marketplaces.