List for cgit developers and users
* Bug: alternates not followed when enable-http-clone=1
@ 2014-04-28 16:18 mricon
From: mricon @ 2014-04-28 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, all:

Someone tried to clone a cgit URL instead of the canonical clone URL for
one of the projects and I thus discovered that cgit's http-clone support
doesn't do the right thing with repositories that use alternates.
Probably should be fixed.

Best,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Senior Systems Administrator

From: john @ 2014-04-28 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 12:18:39PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Someone tried to clone a cgit URL instead of the canonical clone URL for
> one of the projects and I thus discovered that cgit's http-clone support
> doesn't do the right thing with repositories that use alternates.
> Probably should be fixed.

Do you have absolute or relative paths in $GIT_DIR/info/alternates?

I can't see anything that CGit's HTTP implementation does differently
from git-http-backend, but gitrepository-layout(5) indicates that you
may need to create $GIT_DIR/info/http-alternates as well to provide the
correct paths to HTTP clients.

If you don't want CGit's HTTP clone, it might make more sense to just
turn it off in cgitrc ("enable-http-clone = 0").

* Bug: alternates not followed when enable-http-clone=1
@ 2014-04-30 16:32   ` mricon
From: mricon @ 2014-04-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/04/14 02:27 PM, John Keeping wrote:
> Do you have absolute or relative paths in $GIT_DIR/info/alternates?
>
> I can't see anything that CGit's HTTP implementation does differently
> from git-http-backend, but gitrepository-layout(5) indicates that you
> may need to create $GIT_DIR/info/http-alternates as well to provide the
> correct paths to HTTP clients.

Ah, you are right, of course -- dumb protocol can't do plain alternates.
Silly me! Then I take it back -- it's not really a bug at all, just a
misconfiguration on my end.

> If you don't want CGit's HTTP clone, it might make more sense to just
> turn it off in cgitrc ("enable-http-clone = 0").

That's what I ended up doing. People weren't supposed to be using cgit
URLs for cloning, but someone always tries. :)

Best,