List for cgit developers and users
* Description for section and link for repos
@ 2015-03-05  8:22 r
From: r @ 2015-03-05  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm a new cgit user (I expect there will be a lot of us in the coming
weeks, with Gitorious shuting down), and I have two questions/requests.

But first, I would like to say that cgit is awesome it was easy to
install and run, and has a very small footprint, thanks a lot to the
developers and maintainers.

My first question is about sections.
I would like to be able to add a title and a little description for each
section, just like I can with the cgit.desc configuration for each the
git repos.

Example : http://clandest.in/sensi
Here I would like the title to be "clandest.in / sensi" rather than just
"clandest.in", and I would like the description to be "SEN Security
Inspector" rather than the root description.

My second question is about repository.
I would like to add title and a link to a project home page somewhere
else than on the logo.

Example : http://clandest.in/sensi/finja
Here I would like the title to be "clandest.in / sensi / finja" rather
than "index : finja", and I would like to add a tab "homepage" after
"diff" which would link to http://pablo.rauzy.name/sensi/finja.html in
this example.

Is what I'm looking for already possible? If yes, how? If not, I think
it would be a nice addition.

I don't have a lot of time right now (I kind of have a PhD thesis to
write?) but if it's not implemented by someone else by the time I find a
few hours to explore cgit codebase and add these features, would such a
patch be welcome?

Thanks again for the nice piece of software that is cgit!

Cheers,
--
Pablo Rauzy.
http://pablo.rauzy.name/
* Description for section and link for repos
@ 2015-03-05  9:30 ` john
From: john @ 2015-03-05  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 09:22:55AM +0100, Pablo Rauzy wrote:
> My first question is about sections.
> I would like to be able to add a title and a little description for each
> section, just like I can with the cgit.desc configuration for each the
> git repos.
>
> Example : http://clandest.in/sensi
> Here I would like the title to be "clandest.in / sensi" rather than just
> "clandest.in", and I would like the description to be "SEN Security
> Inspector" rather than the root description.

Are you currently using "section-from-path"?  If you use the
"repo.section" configuration option then you can name the sections
however you want, but this is not possible if you are generating the
sections automatically.

If you're combining CGit with Gitolite you may be able to avoid listing
repositories twice by using CGit's "enable-git-config" option to
configure the "repo.section" variable (I'm not sure if you can set a
config variable on a group of repositories in Gitolite, but I think you
should be able to).

> My second question is about repository.
> I would like to add title and a link to a project home page somewhere
> else than on the logo.
>
> Example : http://clandest.in/sensi/finja
> Here I would like the title to be "clandest.in / sensi / finja" rather
> than "index : finja", and I would like to add a tab "homepage" after
> "diff" which would link to http://pablo.rauzy.name/sensi/finja.html in
> this example.
>

> Is what I'm looking for already possible? If yes, how? If not, I think
> it would be a nice addition.

I don't think this is currently possible.  Note that the word "index" is
actually a link to the list of repositories.

For the "homepage" link, have you considered simply adding a link to the
repository's readme (on the about tab)?  I thought there was a way to
make the "about" tab the default instead of the "summary" tab, but I
can't find it when I go looking so I must be wrong about that.

* Description for section and link for repos
@ 2015-03-05  9:51   ` r
From: r @ 2015-03-05  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again, and thanks for your quick response.

On 2015-03-05, John Keeping wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 09:22:55AM +0100, Pablo Rauzy wrote:
>> My first question is about sections.
>> I would like to be able to add a title and a little description for each
>> section, just like I can with the cgit.desc configuration for each the
>> git repos.
>>
>> Example : http://clandest.in/sensi
>> Here I would like the title to be "clandest.in / sensi" rather than just
>> "clandest.in", and I would like the description to be "SEN Security
>> Inspector" rather than the root description.
>
> Are you currently using "section-from-path"?  If you use the
> "repo.section" configuration option then you can name the sections
> however you want, but this is not possible if you are generating the
> sections automatically.

Indeed I am using section-from-path, but the name of the sections are
just fine.

What I was looking for is the possibility to for instance make cgit
using a file called "description" in the directory that it makes a
section as description of that section.

> If you're combining CGit with Gitolite you may be able to avoid listing
> repositories twice by using CGit's "enable-git-config" option to
> configure the "repo.section" variable (I'm not sure if you can set a
> config variable on a group of repositories in Gitolite, but I think you
> should be able to).

I'm not using Gitolite.

>> My second question is about repository.
>> I would like to add title and a link to a project home page somewhere
>> else than on the logo.
>>
>> Example : http://clandest.in/sensi/finja
>> Here I would like the title to be "clandest.in / sensi / finja" rather
>> than "index : finja", and I would like to add a tab "homepage" after
>> "diff" which would link to http://pablo.rauzy.name/sensi/finja.html in
>> this example.
>>

>> Is what I'm looking for already possible? If yes, how? If not, I think
>> it would be a nice addition.
>
> I don't think this is currently possible.  Note that the word "index" is
> actually a link to the list of repositories.

Yes I noticed that, but I find it less nice than having the root-title
for the link.

> For the "homepage" link, have you considered simply adding a link to the
> repository's readme (on the about tab)?  I thought there was a way to
> make the "about" tab the default instead of the "summary" tab, but I
> can't find it when I go looking so I must be wrong about that.

That is exactly what I did for now. Maybe it is enough. I'll see with
the time how much I like it this way :).

FWIW, here is the filter I wrote to make link clickable in plaintext
READMEs: http://paste.fulltxt.net/LKdVjbHaY (it is quick and dirty, it
simply considers that anything between < and > and starting with "http"
is a link).

Thanks again for your really quick answer!

Cheers,
--
Pablo Rauzy.
http://pablo.rauzy.name/
* Description for section and link for repos
@ 2015-03-05  9:57     ` john
From: john @ 2015-03-05  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 10:51:09AM +0100, Pablo Rauzy wrote:
> Hello again, and thanks for your quick response.
>
> On 2015-03-05, John Keeping wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 09:22:55AM +0100, Pablo Rauzy wrote:
> >> My first question is about sections.
> >> I would like to be able to add a title and a little description for each
> >> section, just like I can with the cgit.desc configuration for each the
> >> git repos.
> >>
> >> Example : http://clandest.in/sensi
> >> Here I would like the title to be "clandest.in / sensi" rather than just
> >> "clandest.in", and I would like the description to be "SEN Security
> >> Inspector" rather than the root description.
> >
> > Are you currently using "section-from-path"?  If you use the
> > "repo.section" configuration option then you can name the sections
> > however you want, but this is not possible if you are generating the
> > sections automatically.
>
> Indeed I am using section-from-path, but the name of the sections are
> just fine.
>
> What I was looking for is the possibility to for instance make cgit
> using a file called "description" in the directory that it makes a
> section as description of that section.

I don't think this has ever been supported.

I hadn't realised that http://clandest.in/sensi wasn't the root of the
repository.  CGit doesn't generate any links to the section pages so I'm
not sure much thought has gone into the formatting of those pages.

> > If you're combining CGit with Gitolite you may be able to avoid listing
> > repositories twice by using CGit's "enable-git-config" option to
> > configure the "repo.section" variable (I'm not sure if you can set a
> > config variable on a group of repositories in Gitolite, but I think you
> > should be able to).
>
> I'm not using Gitolite.
>
> >> My second question is about repository.
> >> I would like to add title and a link to a project home page somewhere
> >> else than on the logo.
> >>
> >> Example : http://clandest.in/sensi/finja
> >> Here I would like the title to be "clandest.in / sensi / finja" rather
> >> than "index : finja", and I would like to add a tab "homepage" after
> >> "diff" which would link to http://pablo.rauzy.name/sensi/finja.html in
> >> this example.
> >>

> >> Is what I'm looking for already possible? If yes, how? If not, I think
> >> it would be a nice addition.
> >
> > I don't think this is currently possible.  Note that the word "index" is
> > actually a link to the list of repositories.
>
> Yes I noticed that, but I find it less nice than having the root-title
> for the link.
>
> > For the "homepage" link, have you considered simply adding a link to the
> > repository's readme (on the about tab)?  I thought there was a way to
> > make the "about" tab the default instead of the "summary" tab, but I
> > can't find it when I go looking so I must be wrong about that.
>
> That is exactly what I did for now. Maybe it is enough. I'll see with
> the time how much I like it this way :).
>
> FWIW, here is the filter I wrote to make link clickable in plaintext
> READMEs: http://paste.fulltxt.net/LKdVjbHaY (it is quick and dirty, it
> simply considers that anything between < and > and starting with "http"
> is a link).

Note that there is a collection of scripts in the "filters" directory
that will handle Markdown, ReStructuredText and a variety of other
formats.

* Description for section and link for repos
@ 2015-03-05 11:16       ` r
From: r @ 2015-03-05 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-03-05, John Keeping wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 10:51:09AM +0100, Pablo Rauzy wrote:
>> What I was looking for is the possibility to for instance make cgit
>> using a file called "description" in the directory that it makes a
>> section as description of that section.
>
> I don't think this has ever been supported.
>
> CGit doesn't generate any links to the section pages so I'm not sure
> much thought has gone into the formatting of those pages.

That's what I infered. But I'd like to have both the link and the
formatting. I'll think about it when I have time to.

>> FWIW, here is the filter I wrote to make link clickable in plaintext
>> READMEs: http://paste.fulltxt.net/LKdVjbHaY (it is quick and dirty, it
>> simply considers that anything between < and > and starting with "http"
>> is a link).
>
> Note that there is a collection of scripts in the "filters" directory
> that will handle Markdown, ReStructuredText and a variety of other
> formats.

Yes I saw that, thanks. But I prefer to keep things simple (I only have
plaintext and html readme) and fast as cgit already is :).

Thanks,
--
Pablo Rauzy.
http://pablo.rauzy.name/