List for cgit developers and users
* Missing branches
@ 2015-09-22 21:25 terrence.j.dunnigan
From: terrence.j.dunnigan @ 2015-09-22 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

One of our cgit instances (0.10.1) is not displaying all branches in a repo. We've turned caching off (cache-size = 0) and deleted the cache under /var/cache/cgit, and we are still missing branches.

The branches are missing from multiple repos. We've verified that scan-path points to the correct directory, and that the git repository directory actually has the missing branches.

For some reason, cgit is just not displaying all of the branches. One repo has 5 branches yet cgit only displays 2, for example.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Terry
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Missing branches
@ 2015-09-22 22:42 ` john
From: john @ 2015-09-22 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 09:25:19PM +0000, Dunnigan, Terrence J wrote:
> One of our cgit instances (0.10.1) is not displaying all branches in a
> repo. We've turned caching off (cache-size = 0) and deleted the cache
> under /var/cache/cgit, and we are still missing branches.
>
> The branches are missing from multiple repos. We've verified that
> scan-path points to the correct directory, and that the git repository
> directory actually has the missing branches.
>
> For some reason, cgit is just not displaying all of the branches. One
> repo has 5 branches yet cgit only displays 2, for example.

Do you mean on the summary page or the refs page?  The refs page should
show everything but the summary page will only show the number allowed
by the "summary-tags" and "summary-branches" configuration variables,
although those default to 10.

Can you run `git for-each-ref` in the repository CGit is displaying to
see if the branches show up there?  CGit should be displaying everything
under "refs/heads/".

* Missing branches
@ 2015-09-23  1:26   ` terrence.j.dunnigan
From: terrence.j.dunnigan @ 2015-09-23  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

The missing branches neither appear on the summary page nor the refs page, even after cleaning the browser cache.

When I run 'git for-each-ref' in the git repository on the git server I see all of the branches.

It's as if cgit is looking at an older version of the repo, even though the scan path points to the same directory in which I just performed 'git for-each-ref'.

Terry

@ 2015-09-23  8:52     ` john
From: john @ 2015-09-23  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please avoid top posting on this list.]

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 01:26:14AM +0000, Dunnigan, Terrence J wrote:
> The missing branches neither appear on the summary page nor the refs
> page, even after cleaning the browser cache.
>
> When I run 'git for-each-ref' in the git repository on the git server
> I see all of the branches.

Were you running as the same user as CGit?  Is there any chance that
filesystem permissions are inconsistent?

> It's as if cgit is looking at an older version of the repo, even
> though the scan path points to the same directory in which I just
> performed 'git for-each-ref'.

Have you tried adding the repository explicitly?  You can set repo.url
to something unrelated so that the explicit version does not interfere
with the one discovered by "scan-path".

@ 2015-09-24 21:52       ` terrence.j.dunnigan
From: terrence.j.dunnigan @ 2015-09-24 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 01:26:14AM +0000, Dunnigan, Terrence J wrote:
>> The missing branches neither appear on the summary page nor the refs
>> page, even after cleaning the browser cache.
>>
>> When I run 'git for-each-ref' in the git repository on the git server
>> I see all of the branches.

>Were you running as the same user as CGit?  Is there any chance that filesystem permissions are inconsistent?

>> It's as if cgit is looking at an older version of the repo, even
>> though the scan path points to the same directory in which I just
>> performed 'git for-each-ref'.

>Have you tried adding the repository explicitly?  You can set repo.url to something unrelated so that the explicit version does not interfere with the one discovered by "scan->path".

It appears to have been a file permission issue. As soon as we started changing file and directory permissions we started seeing the missing branches.

Thanks for the troubleshooting advice!

Terry