Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!
@ 2019-02-15  6:08 dave
From: dave @ 2019-02-15  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Almost forgot...

Born on this day in 1934, he pretty much invented ALGOL (and algorithmic
languages in general; the running joke was that you could call him by
name or by value)...  From Clem Cole: "The actual joke was Europeans
called him by name ("ni-klaus vurt") and Americans by value ("nickel-less
worth").​

-- Dave

* [COFF] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!
@ 2019-02-15  6:46 ` bakul
From: bakul @ 2019-02-15  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 14, 2019, at 10:08 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> Almost forgot...
>
> Born on this day in 1934, he pretty much invented ALGOL (and algorithmic languages in general; the running joke was that you could call him by name or by value)...  From Clem Cole: "The actual joke was Europeans called him by name ("ni-klaus vurt") and Americans by value ("nickel-less worth").​

Niklaus Wirth did come up with Algol-W, based on Algol-60 but he
didn't invent Algol-58 or Algol-60 or Algol-68; though he was on
the IFIP Working Group 2.1 for Algol (IIRC, he thought Algol-68
was overly complicated).

BTW, Niklaus Wirth himself supposedly made this self-referential joke:

  “Whereas Europeans generally pronounce my name the right way
  (‘Nick-louse Veert’), Americans invariably mangle it into
  ‘Nickel’s Worth.’ This is to say that Europeans call me by
  name, but Americans call me by value.”

[I haven't found a primary source for this but lots of secondary
sources and variations!]

* [COFF] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!
@ 2019-02-15  9:17 ` mutiny.mutiny
From: mutiny.mutiny @ 2019-02-15  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal was his creation.

@ 2019-02-15 14:13   ` stewart
From: stewart @ 2019-02-15 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 2019, Feb 15, at 1:46 AM, Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:
>
> On Feb 14, 2019, at 10:08 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>>
>> Almost forgot...
>>
>> Born on this day in 1934, he pretty much invented ALGOL (and algorithmic languages in general; the running joke was that you could call him by name or by value)...  From Clem Cole: "The actual joke was Europeans called him by name ("ni-klaus vurt") and Americans by value ("nickel-less worth").​
>
> Niklaus Wirth did come up with Algol-W, based on Algol-60 but he
> didn't invent Algol-58 or Algol-60 or Algol-68; though he was on
> the IFIP Working Group 2.1 for Algol (IIRC, he thought Algol-68
> was overly complicated).
>
> BTW, Niklaus Wirth himself supposedly made this self-referential joke:
>
>  “Whereas Europeans generally pronounce my name the right way
>  (‘Nick-louse Veert’), Americans invariably mangle it into
>  ‘Nickel’s Worth.’ This is to say that Europeans call me by
>  name, but Americans call me by value.”
>
> [I haven't found a primary source for this but lots of secondary
> sources and variations!]

In addition to Algol-W and Pascal. Niklaus Wirth also developed Modula-2 and Oberon.
Oberon is particularly interesting because it included a language, an operating system, and a computer.  There aren’t that many folks who could build a complete environmnet from scratch.
A good bit of the Oberon work was done by Jurg Gutknecht but it is nevertheless an impressive achievement.  In 2013, Wirth put out a rebooted system running on an FPGA.

-L

* [COFF] Happy birthday, Niklaus Wirth!
@ 2019-02-15 23:13     ` cym224
From: cym224 @ 2019-02-15 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)