Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Happy birthday, Google...
@ 2018-09-04  0:45 dave
From: dave @ 2018-09-04  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Google was founded on this day in 1998, by a couple of uni students who
went on to become millionaires; the verb "to google" has in fact entered
the lexicon, but these days I use DuckDuckGo (remember: you are not
Google's customer, but their product).

There is some confusion over the name "Google"; some say that someone
couldn't spell the mathematical number "googol" (10**100), and others
claim that is was a joke on their part, which I suspect is revisionist
history.

I would appreciate a correction, and need I point out that a web reference
may not cut the mustard?

Thanks.

-- Dave

* [COFF] Happy birthday, Google...
@ 2018-09-04  0:55 ` gtaylor
From: gtaylor @ 2018-09-04  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/03/2018 06:45 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> There is some confusion over the name "Google"; some say that someone
> couldn't spell the mathematical number "googol" (10**100), and others
> claim that is was a joke on their part, which I suspect is revisionist
> history.
>
> I would appreciate a correction, and need I point out that a web
> reference may not cut the mustard?

The official story inside Google is that the name discrepancy was on
purpose.  I don't know the motivation behind it.  But I have no doubt
that it was deliberate.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die