Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Life under the Sun
@ 2019-05-02  1:01 cym224
From: cym224 @ 2019-05-02  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just finished reading "Life under the Sun" by David Yen, a 296-page
collection of anecdotes in historical order covering his 20y at Sun.  An
amusing, and sometimes sad, read.

Here are two: (1) During the Serengeti project, Sunsoft lost the only
person who knew FORTH and they waited two months to find someone to
modify the OBF.  (2) Google's purchasing dep't rejected their engineers'
purchase requisitions for T1 machines because they were single-sourced,
despite running their search s/w six times faster than comparably priced
Intel boxes.

N.

* [COFF] Life under the Sun
@ 2019-05-02  1:39 ` lm
From: lm @ 2019-05-02  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's a name I haven't heard for a long time.  I knew David, he is
a good guy.  Smart guy.

Do you have a link?

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 09:01:20PM -0400, Nemo Nusquam wrote:
> I just finished reading "Life under the Sun" by David Yen, a 296-page
> collection of anecdotes in historical order covering his 20y at Sun.  An
> amusing, and sometimes sad, read.
>
> Here are two: (1) During the Serengeti project, Sunsoft lost the only person
> who knew FORTH and they waited two months to find someone to modify the OBF.
> (2) Google's purchasing dep't rejected their engineers' purchase
> requisitions for T1 machines because they were single-sourced, despite
> running their search s/w six times faster than comparably priced Intel
> boxes.
>
> N.

---

* [COFF] Life under the Sun
@ 2019-05-02  1:47   ` wkt
From: wkt @ 2019-05-02  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 06:39:53PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> That's a name I haven't heard for a long time.  I knew David, he is
> a good guy.  Smart guy.
> Do you have a link?

It's on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/LIFE-UNDER-SUN-20-Year-Microsystems-ebook/dp/B07D6YBSWR