Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-09  0:48 wkt
From: wkt @ 2020-02-09  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
Password to join is "unix" at the moment.
I just want to test it to confirm that it works; I'll be heading
out the door to go to the shops soon.

Cheers, Warren

* [COFF] [TUHS] Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-09  2:02 ` wkt
From: wkt @ 2020-02-09  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 09, 2020 at 10:48:54AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
> https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
> I just want to test it to confirm that it works.

It works, thanks to the four or five who popped in to test it.

I'm thinking of a weekly rotation through these timezones:

         UTC	   Brisbane	New Jersey
Week 1:  8am	     6pm           3am
Week 2:  1pm	    11pm	   8am
Week 3: 10pm	     8am	   5pm

We'd need a volunteer from each timezone to start up the channel
and to (try to) keep some order. Any takers?

Cheers, Warren

* [COFF] Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-09 22:56 ` grog
       [not found]   ` <alpine.LRH.2.22.394.2002092151450.22679@waffle.shalott.net>
From: grog @ 2020-02-09 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday,  9 February 2020 at 10:48:54 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
> https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
> Password to join is "unix" at the moment.
> I just want to test it to confirm that it works; I'll be heading
> out the door to go to the shops soon.

Just tried it out.  On FreeBSD I get a blank grey screen.  I could
only get something more on a Microsoft box, not quite what I'd want to
do.  Is there some trick?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
> On Sunday,  9 February 2020 at 10:48:54 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> > All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
> > https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
> > Password to join is "unix" at the moment.
> > I just want to test it to confirm that it works; I'll be heading
> > out the door to go to the shops soon.
>
> Just tried it out.  On FreeBSD I get a blank grey screen.  I could
> only get something more on a Microsoft box, not quite what I'd want to
> do.  Is there some trick?

I was able to connect from a MacBookPro.  This seems to be
Jitsi. There is a jitsi package for FreeBSD-11. Unfortunately
/usr/ports/net-im/jitsi is broken (unfetchable). No idea if
any of the linux downloads from jitsi.org would work.

* [COFF] [TUHS]  Also, a video service
@ 2020-02-10  3:35     ` wobblygong
From: wobblygong @ 2020-02-10  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Bakul. I'm just now installing jitsi on one of my Linux boxen.

Speaking of FreeBSD and MacOS, I'm sure the source code at
https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi/src/ will compile on FreeBSD with a
simple ./configure and make.

Wesley Parish

On 2/10/20, Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 09:56:38 +1100 Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sunday,  9 February 2020 at 10:48:54 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>> > All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
>> > https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
>> > Password to join is "unix" at the moment.
>> > I just want to test it to confirm that it works; I'll be heading
>> > out the door to go to the shops soon.
>>
>> Just tried it out.  On FreeBSD I get a blank grey screen.  I could
>> only get something more on a Microsoft box, not quite what I'd want to
>> do.  Is there some trick?
>
> I was able to connect from a MacBookPro.  This seems to be
> Jitsi. There is a jitsi package for FreeBSD-11. Unfortunately
> /usr/ports/net-im/jitsi is broken (unfetchable). No idea if
> any of the linux downloads from jitsi.org would work.

* [COFF] jitsi on FreeBSD (was: Also, a video service)
@ 2020-02-13 23:41       ` grog
From: grog @ 2020-02-13 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 10 February 2020 at 16:35:44 +1300, Wesley Parish wrote:
> Thanks, Bakul. I'm just now installing jitsi on one of my Linux boxen.
>
> Speaking of FreeBSD and MacOS, I'm sure the source code at
> https://download.jitsi.org/jitsi/src/ will compile on FreeBSD with a
> simple ./configure and make.

Thanks for that.  I was wondering where the sources had gone.  I've
now updated the port net-im/jitsi, so you should be able to build
directly from there, or install the package once it has been built (a
few days, I think).

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
* [COFF] Video service on FreeBSD (was: Also, a video service)
       [not found]   ` <alpine.LRH.2.22.394.2002092151450.22679@waffle.shalott.net>
@ 2020-02-13 23:43     ` grog
From: grog @ 2020-02-13 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday,  9 February 2020 at 22:09:47 -0800, jason-tuhs at shalott.net wrote:

>>> All, I've also set this up to try out for the video chats:
>>> https://meet.tuhs.org/COFF
>>> Password to join is "unix" at the moment.
>
>> Just tried it out.  On FreeBSD I get a blank grey screen.  I could
>> only get something more on a Microsoft box, not quite what I'd want to
>> do.  Is there some trick?
>
> * Install /usr/ports/net-im/jitsi.  (Comment out the BROKEN line from the
> Makefile and "make install" should work as usual; the source can actually
> be fetched just fine...)

In fact, the package was indeed unfetchable, but the ports collection
had a cached version, which is what you got.  But now I've brought it
up to date (only 2 years old rather than 4).

> * kldload cuse
>
> * Run firefox and surf to that URL.

I haven't found that necessary.  In fact, installing jitsi doesn't
seem to be necessary.  All you need is a more recent browser than the
antiques I was running.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.