Computer Old Farts Forum
  • * [COFF] Re: reading historic magnetic tapes
           [not found] <6778F07B-DD74-4F04-A877-7D3751E96317@quintile.net>
           [not found] ` <1595e77d-697c-b2e8-5aff-fe63c92f4747@ucsb.edu>
    @ 2023-01-28 20:17 ` Charles H Sauer (he/him)
    From: Charles H Sauer (he/him) @ 2023-01-28 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
      To: coff

    This seems COFF, not TUHS, and mostly not digital...

    I have many 4mm DAT cartridges from 20-30 years ago. Every now and then
    I will access one. So far I've yet to see evidence of the media degrading.

    On 1/28/2023 4:12 AM, Steve Simon wrote:
    > baking old, badly stored magnetic tapes prior to reading them is a common practice.

    For the last year+ I have been digitizing selected audio tapes made in
    the 70s at AWHQ
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_World_Headquarters). The ones
    I've been working with are 1/4" on 10.5" reels. A printed inventory I
    was given says "bake" next to almost all of the items, but so far, after
    processing roughly 40 reels, I've yet to find one that seemed to need
    "baking" (actually, "baking" is a bit overstated, in that best practice
    is to raise temperature to roughly 150F --
    https://www.radioworld.com/industry/baking-magnetic-recording-tape).

    For now, I'm not able to share those AWHQ recordings, but I can share
    other recordings I made in the 60s and 70s at
    https://technologists.com/60sN70s/. In all those reels, many of which
    are cheap, unbranded tape, I didn't find any that seemed to me to need
    baking.

    Charlie
    --
    voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer@technologists.com