Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Seeking Some Books (Primarily Standards)
@ 2023-07-23 21:20 segaloco via COFF
From: segaloco via COFF @ 2023-07-23 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF

Good afternoon or whichever time of day you find yourself in.  I come to you today in my search for some non-UNIX materials for a change.  The following have been on my search list lately in no particular priority:

- Standards:
    COBOL 68
    C 89
    C++ 98
    Minimal BASIC 78
    Full BASIC 87
    SQL (any rev)
    IS0 9660 (CD FS, any rev)
    ISO 5807 (Flow Charts, any rev)

- Manuals:
    PDP-11/20 Processor Handbook
        (EAE manual too if it's separate)
    WE32000 and family literature
    GE/Honeywell mainframe and G(E)COS documents
    The IBM 704 FORTRAN Manual (The -original- FORTRAN book)
    The Codasyl COBOL Report (The -original- COBOL book)
    Any Interdata 7 or 8/32 documentation (or other Interdata stuff really)
    The Ti TMS9918 manual
    The Philips "Red Book" CDDA standard
    If it's part of one, the Bell System Practices Issue containing, or separately otherwise, BSP 502-503-101 (2500 and 2554 reference)

If any of these are burning a hole in your bookshelf and you'd like to sell them off, just let me know, I'll take em off your hands and make it worth your while.  I'm not hurting for any of them, but rather, I see an opportunity to get things on my shelf that may facilitate expansion of some of my existing projects in new directions in the coming years.

Also, I'm in full understanding of the rarity of some of these materials and would like to stress my interest in quality reference material.  Of course, that's not to dismiss legitimate valuation, rather, simply to inform that I intend to turn no profit from these materials, and wherever they wind up after their (hopefully very long) tenure in my library will likely have happened via donation.

- Matt G.

P.S. On that last note, does anyone know if a CHM registration of an artifact[1] means they truly have a physical object in a physical archive somewhere?  That's one of the sorts of things I intend to look into in however many decades fate gives me til I need to start thinking about it.

[1] - https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102721523

* [COFF] Re: Seeking Some Books (Primarily Standards)
@ 2023-07-24  1:10 ` Stuff Received
From: Stuff Received @ 2023-07-24  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

Greetings, Matt.

On 2023-07-23 17:20, segaloco via COFF wrote:
> Good afternoon or whichever time of day you find yourself in.  I come to you today in my search for some non-UNIX materials for a change.  The following have been on my search list lately in no particular priority:
>
> - Standards:
>      COBOL 68
>      C 89
>      C++ 98
>      Minimal BASIC 78
>      Full BASIC 87
>      SQL (any rev)
>      IS0 9660 (CD FS, any rev)
>      ISO 5807 (Flow Charts, any rev)

[...]

> Also, I'm in full understanding of the rarity of some of these materials and would like to stress my interest in quality reference material.  Of course, that's not to dismiss legitimate valuation, rather, simply to inform that I intend to turn no profit from these materials, and wherever they wind up after their (hopefully very long) tenure in my library will likely have happened via donation.
>
> - Matt G.

If you are willing to pay exorbitant amounts, most of the standards are
available from the ISO store (e.g., C89:
https://www.iso.org/standard/74528.html , ISO5807:
https://www.iso.org/standard/11955.html , ISO9660:
https://www.iso.org/standard/81979.html , and so on).

Sincerely,
john

* [COFF] Re: Seeking Some Books (Primarily Standards)
@ 2023-07-24  0:50 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2023-07-24  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Matt G.

    > PDP-11/20 Processor Handbook
    >   (EAE manual too if it's separate)

Yes and no. There are separate manuals for the EAE (links here:

  https://gunkies.org/wiki/KE11-A_Extended_Arithmetic_Element
  https://gunkies.org/wiki/KE11-B_Extended_Arithmetic_Element

the -B is the same to program as the -A; its implementation is just a single
board, though) but the -11/20 processor handbook (the second version; the one
dated 1972) does have a chapter (Chapter 8; Part I) on the EAE.

(For no reason I can understand, neither the -11/05 nor the -11/04 processor
handbook covers the EAE, even though neither one has the EIS, and if you need
multiply/etc in hardware on either one, the EAE is your only choice).

	Noel