Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Seeking Some Japanese Computing Books
@ 2023-09-19 16:24 segaloco via COFF
From: segaloco via COFF @ 2023-09-19 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF

Good morning, I am going to pick up a few Japanese computing books to get more familiar with translating technical literature and figured I'd see if anyone here has any of these before I go buying from randos on eBay (Not sure all of these exist in Japanese):

The C Programming Language (Either Edition)
The C++ Programming Language
Any AT&T/USL System V Docs
The UNIX System (Bourne)
John Lions's Commentary
Any Hardware Docs from Japanese shops (Sony, NEC, Sharp, JVC, etc) that have English counterparts (e.g. MSX architecture docs, PC-*8 hardware stuff)

Thanks all!

- Matt G.

P.S. Even less likely but any of the above in Chinese I would be interested in as well. Many Kanji and Hanzi overlap in meaning so while it may be like trying to read Chaucer with no knowledge of antiquated English, translation between Hanzi and English may help the Kanji situation along too.

* [COFF] Re: Seeking Some Japanese Computing Books
@ 2023-09-20  2:16 ` Tomasz Rola
From: Tomasz Rola @ 2023-09-20  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco via COFF

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 04:24:24PM +0000, segaloco via COFF wrote:
> Good morning, I am going to pick up a few Japanese computing books
> to get more familiar with translating technical literature and
> figured I'd see if anyone here has any of these before I go buying
> from randos on eBay (Not sure all of these exist in Japanese):
[...]

Not what you ask for, but if your goal is exercising yourself, then
there should be plenty of technical documentation available both in
English and Japanese. Ok, maybe not so plenty, but still. Depending on
your OS, but on mine I can do this:

 apt-cache search japan | sort | less

and on different terminal:

  apt-cache show developers-reference-ja

(and...)
 This package contains the Japanese translation of Debian Developer's
 Reference (package: developers-reference), a set of guidelines and
 best practices which has been established by and for the community of
 Debian developers and maintainers. If you are not maintaining Debian
 packages, you probably do not need this package.
(... and so on)

Quickly going throu the list, I have spotted things like:

 debian-faq-ja, debian-kernel-handbook-ja, manpages-ja-dev

I am unable to assess the quality, however.

Likewise, your favorite programming language should have Japanese
section, perhaps?

[...]
> Any Hardware Docs from Japanese shops (Sony, NEC, Sharp, JVC, etc)
> that have English counterparts (e.g. MSX architecture docs, PC-*8
> hardware stuff)

Not hardware, alas, but maybe this...

 MSX2 Technical Hand Book
 by   アスキー出版局

https://archive.org/details/Msx2TechnicalHandBook/page/n4/mode/1up

and

https://archive.org/search?query=subject%3A%22Old+Japanese+computer%22

as well of this - seems like related to Japanese book above:

https://github.com/Konamiman/MSX2-Technical-Handbook

HTH...

--
Regards,