Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Stallman resigns under pressure from CSAIL and FSF.
@ 2019-09-17 16:02 jnc
From: jnc @ 2019-09-17 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Larry McVoy

    > If it really was just about his views, his views have been consistent
    > for a long time and MIT didn't care.

The outrage over Epstein is so un-balanced I have a strong desire to vomit.

Not that I have any feeling at all that Epstein didn't deserve what he got. My
disgust is that Roman Polanksi, who did exactly the same thing to a 13-year
old, was defended and lionized by a long list of entertainment world figures
after his arrest in Switzerland - many of whom are now falling all over
themselves to condemn Epstein.

If and when the mob howling over Epstein takes out after Polanki in the exact
same manner, then I'll take them seriously. Until then, they're a bunch of
virtue-signalling cretins.

	Noel

* [COFF] Stallman resigns under pressure from CSAIL and FSF.
@ 2019-09-17 12:56 crossd
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: crossd @ 2019-09-17 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman, known colloquially as 'RMS', has resigned from MIT's
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and the Free
Software Foundation, after making comments defending Jeffrey Epstein, the
late sexual predator. Those comments sparked wide-spread outrage across the
MIT community and beyond.

https://stallman.org/archives/2019-jul-oct.html#16_September_2019_(Resignation)
https://www.fsf.org/news/richard-m-stallman-resigns

        - Dan C.