Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Idea: a regular video chat
@ 2020-02-08  7:36 wkt
From: wkt @ 2020-02-08  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

[x-posting to COFF]

Idea: anybody interested in a regular video chat? I was thinking of
one that progresses(*) through three different timezones (Asia/Aus/NZ,
then the Americas, then Europe/Africa) so that everybody should be
able to get to two of the three timezones.

 (* like a progressive dinner)

30-60 minutes each one, general old computing. Perhaps a guest speaker
now and then with a short presentation. Perhaps a theme now and then.
Perhaps just chew the fat, shoot the breeze as well.

Platform: Zoom or I'd be happy to set up a private Jitsi instance.
Something else?

How often: perhaps weekly or fortnightly through the three timezones,
so it would cycle back every three or six weeks.

Comments, suggestions?!

Cheers, Warren

* [COFF] Idea: a regular video chat
@ 2020-02-08 15:41 ` clemc
From: clemc @ 2020-02-08 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Possibly -  signal works really well and has few if any issues
security/privacy/ownership issues.

Clem

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 11:36 PM Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> [x-posting to COFF]
>
> Idea: anybody interested in a regular video chat? I was thinking of
> one that progresses(*) through three different timezones (Asia/Aus/NZ,
> then the Americas, then Europe/Africa) so that everybody should be
> able to get to two of the three timezones.
>
>  (* like a progressive dinner)
>
> 30-60 minutes each one, general old computing. Perhaps a guest speaker
> now and then with a short presentation. Perhaps a theme now and then.
> Perhaps just chew the fat, shoot the breeze as well.
>
> Platform: Zoom or I'd be happy to set up a private Jitsi instance.
> Something else?
>
> How often: perhaps weekly or fortnightly through the three timezones,
> so it would cycle back every three or six weeks.
>
> Comments, suggestions?!
>
> Cheers, Warren

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [COFF] [TUHS]  Idea: a regular video chat
@ 2020-02-08 16:06   ` ullbeking
From: ullbeking @ 2020-02-08 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/02/2020 15:41, Clem Cole wrote:
> Possibly -  signal works really well and has few if any issues
> security/privacy/ownership issues.

I think it's a WONDERFUL idea!!

I don't mind what multimedia and video converencing technology we use.
(Obviously it must meet fundmental technical requirements.)

The point that Clem makes about "security/privacy/ownership issues" is
important.  Now could be a good time for one to open the discussion
about their expectations.

Andrew

@ 2020-02-08 17:50     ` coppero1237
From: coppero1237 @ 2020-02-08 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)