Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] The Third Ronnie's SDI's embedded systems
@ 2020-01-22  4:39 wobblygong
From: wobblygong @ 2020-01-22  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

This isn't precisely Unix-related, but I'm wondering about the Third
Ronnie's SDI's embedded systems. Is there anyone alive who knows just
what they were? I'm also wondering, since the "Star Wars" program
seemed to go off the boil at the end of the "Cold War", and the
embedded systems were made with the US taxpayer's dollar, whether or
not they are now public domain - since iirc, US federal law mandates
that anything made with the taxpayer's dollar is owned by the taxpayer
and is thus in the public domain. I'm wondering about starting a
Freedom of Information request to find all of that out, but I don't
quite know how to go about it. (FWVLIW, I'm a fan of outer space
exploration (and commercial use) and a trove of realtime, embedded
source code dealing with satellites would be a treasure indeed. It'd
raise the bar and lower the cost of entry into that market.)

Also, more Unixy, what status at the time were the POSIX realtime
standards, and what precise relation did they have to Unix?

Thanks

Wesley Parish