Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] The MOO problem and set-uid
@ 2020-01-28 22:18 dave
From: dave @ 2020-01-28 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recall reading in an old manpage that the (patented) set-uid bit was to
solved the MOO problem.  I've searched around, but cannot find anything
relevant.  Anyone know?

-- Dave

* [COFF] The MOO problem and set-uid
@ 2020-01-28 23:01 ` bakul
From: bakul @ 2020-01-28 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

The orig. ref. was in the Unix Time Sharing paper. See Section 3.5 near the end.
https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~brewer/cs262/unix.pdf <https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~brewer/cs262/unix.pdf>

The paper referenced above is behind a paywall (you can see the first page *free of charge*!)
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/spe.4380010210 <https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/spe.4380010210>

One place the problem is described in some detail:
https://www.cs.unm.edu/~cris/481/gordon-moo.txt <https://www.cs.unm.edu/~cris/481/gordon-moo.txt>:

> On Jan 28, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> I recall reading in an old manpage that the (patented) set-uid bit was to solved the MOO problem.  I've searched around, but cannot find anything relevant.  Anyone know?
>
> -- Dave

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [COFF] The MOO problem and set-uid
@ 2020-01-29 14:50   ` dot
From: dot @ 2020-01-29 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:

> The paper referenced above is behind a paywall (you can see the first
> page *free of charge*!)
> https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/spe.4380010210

That article mentions Frank King and Barry Landy who are still around in
Cambridge.

> One place the problem is described in some detail:
> https://www.cs.unm.edu/~cris/481/gordon-moo.txt

A correction: Titan was not a Unix system :-) It was a variant of the
Ferranti Atlas, with its own timesharing operating system. But it has some
second-hand Unix connections: it was the first system to have hashed
passwords, which Unix later adopted. Stephen Bourne used Titan when
developing Algol 68C.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: West backing southwest later, 5 to 7. Moderate or rough.
Occasional rain. Good, occasionally moderate.

* [COFF] The MOO problem and set-uid
@ 2020-01-30 20:25 ` dave
From: dave @ 2020-01-30 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, all, for the responses; it was driving me nuts!  I know the game
as "cows and bulls" (or perhaps that's because I'm of British origin).

I like Dennis' observation: "On the other hand, suid these days seems to
be a fairly blunt and dangerous instrument".  I've often believed that if
you thought you needed set-uid (esp. to root!) you can probably get away
with set-gid instead.

-- Dave

* [COFF] The MOO problem and set-uid
@ 2020-01-30 21:51   ` bakul
From: bakul @ 2020-01-30 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 30, 2020, at 12:25 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> Thanks, all, for the responses; it was driving me nuts!  I know the game as "cows and bulls" (or perhaps that's because I'm of British origin).
>
> I like Dennis' observation: "On the other hand, suid these days seems to be a fairly blunt and dangerous instrument".  I've often believed that if you thought you needed set-uid (esp. to root!) you can probably get away with set-gid instead.

Capabilities[1] (Dennis, Van Horn, 1966) would have solved the MOO problem.
And the CAP computer project had already started in Cambridge!

[1]
https://www.princeton.edu/~rblee/ELE572Papers/Fall04Readings/ProgramSemantics_DennisvanHorn.pdf

Re-reading this papers decades later it is interesting to see that
the modern object caps are basically not very different from the
original concept! Also interesting to see fork() here.