Computer Old Farts Forum
From: Bakul Shah <bakul@iitbombay.org>
To: Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com>
Cc: Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>, COFF <coff@tuhs.org>
Subject: [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:11:54 -0700	[thread overview]

People expressing their individuality/personality/opinons in their
signature doesn't bother me. I hang out in this community because
we do have much in common (computing wise) but it would be a boring
world if every one was the same. Another reason is that many computer
people are curious by nature and dive deep in more than one field and
usually offer well thought out opinions. Kind of modern versions of
the Renaissance men (regardless of their gender). Such people also
tend to be more "far out" from the norm. They have a unique way of
looking at the world is why they are innovators, artists, scientists
etc. People who write a filesystem / applications / drivers / packages /
windowing system are not interesting just because of what they produced
but because they likely have so many more interesting sides to them!
So I certainly want to know more about them (without being nosy).
I don't have to agree with them on everything (or anything) but I can
still respect them and do (unless they do/say things to lose that).

So let us have more interesting discussions and not dwell on such things
nor get bent out of shape by people expressing whatever they care about
in their signature.