Computer Old Farts Forum
From: segaloco via COFF <coff@tuhs.org>
To: Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>
Cc: COFF <coff@tuhs.org>
Subject: [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: The AWK Programming Language, 2nd Ed.: What's new?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 00:24:27 +0000	[thread overview]

My two cents, anyone is free to express whatever views they want, just as they are free to express opposition to whatever views they want.  Of course, there are lines one can cross and find themselves on the business end of a ban from a mailing list, but at the same time, most folks who mean harm will peter themselves out when they don't get the attention they crave, or it'll become obvious that they stuck their foot in it and they'll try and correct.  The trick is figuring out the nuances of your audience and understanding what does and doesn't contribute value to discussion.  Also, we all have the ability to communicate on or off list.  I'm guilty of this myself with Al Kossow in the past, and I own that, but airing a concern or conflict via reply all is rarely helpful, this is a lesson I myself and still trying to get better about.

As for Mary Ann's sig, personally I'm always happy to see it when she posts.  I'm not very visibily NB but the part of me that wholly rejects the concept of gender has always appreciated that working in and with technology has presented countless folks more opportunity than ever to come out and be done with the closet.  Life is multi faceted, go figure that kids like me that grow up exploring systems thinking and the like sometimes wind up rejecting aspects of our broken social systems :)

- Matt G.

P.S. In keeping with the theme of my message, I'm personally not seeking debate on support for the trans community.  If you take a page from my advice and contact me directly in a combative sense just know you will be at the least ignored, at the most, say something particularly toxic and I probably won't be the only person to know you harbor those thoughts...