Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2019-11-16 21:01 dave
From: dave @ 2019-11-16 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On this day in 1970 computer pioneer Douglas Engelbart was awarded the patent
for the computer mouse.  It was a fugly thing: just a squarish box with two
wheels underneath it mounted at right-angles and a button.  Ergonomic it
wasn't...

-- Dave

* [COFF] Happy birthday, computer mouse!
@ 2018-11-17  1:45     ` cym224
From: cym224 @ 2018-11-17  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, dear.

On 16/11/2018, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2018, Nemo wrote:
>
>>> On this day in 1970 computer pioneer Douglas Engelbart was awarded the
>>> patent for the computer mouse.
>>
>> Not really meaning to argue but
>
> Don't worry; I love receiving corrections.
>
>> http://www.dougengelbart.org/content/view/90/48/ claims: "Doug
>> Engelbart's patent on the computer mouse, titled X-Y position indicator
>> for a display system (3,541,541), filed June 21, 1967 and granted
>> January 17, 1970 [...]".  Link to the USPTO:
>> http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=03541541
>
> Hmmm...  Right date, but wrong month; thanks.  Not sure how that happened,
> but now corrected.

Apologies, Dave, my implicit joke fell flat.  Their website is wrong;
you are correct (as seen on the tombstone of the actual patent).

N.

@ 2018-11-16 22:22   ` dave
From: dave @ 2018-11-16 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-11-16 22:05 ` cym224
From: cym224 @ 2018-11-16 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16/11/2018, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> On this day in 1970 computer pioneer Douglas Engelbart was awarded the
> patent for the computer mouse.

Not really meaning to argue but
http://www.dougengelbart.org/content/view/90/48/ claims: "Doug
Engelbart's patent on the computer mouse, titled X-Y position
indicator for a display system (3,541,541), filed June 21, 1967 and
granted January 17, 1970 [...]".  Link to the USPTO:
http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=03541541

> It was a fugly thing: just a squarish box with two wheels underneath it mounted
> at right-angles and a button. Ergonomic it wasn't...

Allegedly hand-carved but who carved it?

N.

@ 2018-11-16 21:44 dave