Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Happy birthday, Grace Hopper!
@ 2019-12-08 23:50 dave
From: dave @ 2019-12-08 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

We gained Rear Admiral Grace Hopper on this day in 1906; known as "Amazing
Grace", she was a remarkable woman, both in computers and the Navy.  She coined
the term "debugging" when she extracted a moth from a set of relay contacts from
a computer (the Harvard Mk I) and wrote "computer debugged" in the log, taping
the deceased Lepidoptera in there as well.  She was convinced that computers
could be programmed in an English-like language and developed Flow-Matic, which
in turn became, err, COBOL...  She was posthumously awarded the Presidential
Medal of Freedom in 2016 by Barack Obama.

-- Dave

* [COFF] Origins of bugs (was: Happy birthday, Grace Hopper!)
@ 2019-12-09  0:56 ` grog
From: grog @ 2019-12-09  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday,  9 December 2019 at 10:50:50 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> We gained Rear Admiral Grace Hopper on this day in 1906; known as "Amazing
> Grace", she was a remarkable woman, both in computers and the Navy.  She coined
> the term "debugging" when she extracted a moth from a set of relay contacts from
> a computer (the Harvard Mk I) and wrote "computer debugged" in the log, taping
> the deceased Lepidoptera in there as well.

FWIW, the term "debug" predates this incident.  OED has:

  1943 Bluefield (W. Va.) Daily Tel. 26 Mar. 10/4 (caption)
       ‘Debugging’ Buna. Sister Mary Thomas adjusts a gas absorption
       tube in her Washington laboratory where she's conducting
       research to eliminate ‘bugs’ from the processing of butadiene
       into synthetic rubber.

My understanding is that Hopper would have known this usage, and the
real point of this story was that she found a real live bug causing
the bug, a kind of physical pun.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
* [COFF] Origins of bugs (was: Happy birthday, Grace Hopper!)
@ 2019-12-13  6:14   ` dave
From: dave @ 2019-12-13  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> FWIW, the term "debug" predates this incident.  OED has:

[...]

Thanks for that.

> My understanding is that Hopper would have known this usage, and the
> real point of this story was that she found a real live bug causing the
> bug, a kind of physical pun.

Quite likely...

-- Dave