Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] What Happened to Interdata?
@ 2023-07-25 23:23 segaloco via COFF
From: segaloco via COFF @ 2023-07-25 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF

So I've been studying the Interdata 32-bit machines a bit more closely lately and I'm wondering if someone who was there at the time has the scoop on what happened to them. The Wikipedia article gives some good info on their history but not really anything about, say, failed follow-ons that tanked their market, significant reasons for avoidance, or anything like that. I also find myself wondering why Bell didn't do anything with the Interdata work after springboarding further portability efforts while several other little streams, even those unreleased like the S/370 and 8086 ports seemed to stick around internally for longer. Were Interdata machines problematic in some sort of way, or was it merely fate, with more popular minis from DEC simply spacing them out of the market? Part of my interest too comes from what influence the legacy of Interdata may have had on Perkin-Elmer, as I've worked with Perkin-Elmer analytical equipment several times in the chemistry-side of my career and am curious if I was ever operating some vague descendent of Interdata designs in the embedded controllers in say one of my mass specs back when.

- Matt G.

P.S. Looking for more general history hence COFF, but towards a more UNIXy end, if there's any sort of missing scoop on the life and times of the Bell Interdata 8/32 port, for instance, whether it ever saw literally any production use in the System or was only ever on the machines being used for the portability work, I'm sure that could benefit from a CC to TUHS if that history winds up in this thread.

* [COFF] Re: What Happened to Interdata?
@ 2023-07-27 19:16 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2023-07-27 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey

    > Interdata had instruction sets that were close to the IBM instruction
    > set, but my recollection was that they were different enough that IBM
    > software wouldn't run on them.

Bitsavers doesn't have a wealth of Interdata documentation, but there is some:

  http://bitsavers.org/pdf/interdata/32bit/

Someone who's familiar with the 360 instruction set should be able to look
at e.g.:

  http://bitsavers.org/pdf/interdata/32bit/8-32/8-32_Brochure_1977.pdf

and see how compatible it is.

	Noel