* Feature request: on-the-fly compression of attachments
@ 2000-12-11 21:56 Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2000-12-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

In gnu.emacs.gnus Burkhard Perkens-Golomb asked for a way to do
on-the-fly compression of attachments:

,----[ <rvqbsum2a61.fsf@sdm.de> ]
| If I attach a file to a mail, I often want to compress it with
| gzip. So I change to the command line, call gzip on the file, attach the
| compressed file, send the mail, go back to the command line and delete
| the compressed file.
|
| Is it possible to do an on-the-fly compression in gnus? I would like
| to say to gnus "attach this file, but call gzip on it first" without
| manually calling gzip and manually removing the compressed file.
`----

I like that idea too, because quite often I send huge plain text log
files by mail, that are gzipped to less than 10% of their original
size.

Could this be done easily with a new MML attribute?  Or is there
already an implemented solution in Gnus or Emacs?

Cheers,
  Ray
--
Raymond Scholz - rscholz@zonix.de - PGP - http://www.zonix.de/

* Re: Feature request: on-the-fly compression of attachments
@ 2001-12-31  6:40 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <ray-2000@zonix.de> writes:

> | Is it possible to do an on-the-fly compression in gnus? I would like
> | to say to gnus "attach this file, but call gzip on it first" without
> | manually calling gzip and manually removing the compressed file.
> `----
>
> I like that idea too, because quite often I send huge plain text log
> files by mail, that are gzipped to less than 10% of their original
> size.
>
> Could this be done easily with a new MML attribute?  Or is there
> already an implemented solution in Gnus or Emacs?

It quite a good idea.  We could add something like "compress" or
"preprocess=gzip" or something of the kind to the MML tag.

But I'll wait until somebody tells me if it's already implemented
before I start implementing it.  :-)