* Which Gnus to use?
@ 1998-11-25  9:44 Eivind Olsen
From: Eivind Olsen @ 1998-11-25  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I'm pretty much a newcommer to this Gnus-thing.

I've been reading this mailinglist for a short while, and seen mentions of
PGnus 0.5x, and I'm currently using Gnus 5.6.44 (I think it was..). How
are PGnus 0.5x and Gnus 5.6.x related? Is one more recent than the other?
Different features? And, which one would you recommend I run?

--
   Eivind Olsen   | Compo-dude at The Gathering'99! | Hobby-BOFH
 eivind@aminor.no |  Translator of Amiga programs!  | Team *AMIGA*

* Re: Which Gnus to use?
@ 1998-11-25 14:05 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-25 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus 5.6 is the currently released version, named versions are
development versions (currently Pterodactyl Gnus).

If you want to use the development versions, you should be prepared to
use the debugger in case you find a bug.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Which Gnus to use?
@ 1998-11-25 18:17 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1998-11-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Eivind Olsen <eivind@aminor.no> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'm pretty much a newcommer to this Gnus-thing.
>
> I've been reading this mailinglist for a short while, and seen mentions of
> PGnus 0.5x, and I'm currently using Gnus 5.6.44 (I think it was..). How
> are PGnus 0.5x and Gnus 5.6.x related? Is one more recent than the other?
> Different features? And, which one would you recommend I run?

As Kai said, pgnus is the alpha version -- it will eventually become
Gnus 5.7.xx.  Most notably, pgnus contains MIME support and Gnus
5.6.xx doesn't.  Pgnus also requires Emacs 20.x or a similarly recent
XEmacs.

Use pgnus only if you're interested in the latest features and willing
to deal with bugs that may cause you to lose mail (never happened to
me though).  A willingness to debug elisp also helps.

--
matta

* Re: Which Gnus to use?
@ 1998-11-26  8:58   ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-11-26  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Armstrong <matta@geoworks.com> writes:
> As Kai said, pgnus is the alpha version -- it will eventually become
> Gnus 5.7.xx.

Actually, 5.6.xx will become 5.7, and pgnus will become 5.8.xx and 5.9.

Unless, of course, Lars has deviated from the former path.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk