* agent, levels and fetch
@ 2011-03-29 20:25 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-03-29 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

Starting Gnus unplugged I now have my gnus-select-method set to '(nntp
"localhost") which is a leafnode server. I set its level to 1 and
gnus-activate-level & gnus-activate-foreign-newsgroups to 1. So leafnode
which subscribes to the news.gnus.org nntp server appears instantly and
is activated.  I have my nndrafts level set to 1 too : its a foreign
server (why I'm not sure since its a local default server same as
archive) but because of my gnus-activate-foreign-newsgroups setting it
too is active immediately which is necessary (and should be defaulted I
think since drafts are normally local and so can activate without
overhead) since you want to know straightaway if you have  queue/draft
articles which need dealing with. My other agentised servers (like
eternal-september or gmane) are at level 3.

So now the Question/Suggestion:

When I do a Jj to go plugged and then C-u 3 g to fetch data for all my
other nntp servers, is it possible currently in gnus or *could* it be
possible for it to download the article body too into the agent rather
than have to wait for time consuming connect, header read and close (all
initiated by the C-u 3 g) and then having to explicitly do a Js to fetch
the available articles into the agent and thus repeating the overhead
of reconnecting? Or have I missed something with this fetch strategy?
Should the C-u 3 g, or could it, also fetch into the agent if that
server is agentised?

regards

r.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-03-29 20:25 UTC | newest]