* [lconrad@world.std.com] Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
@ 1999-04-20  3:08 lconrad
From: lconrad @ 1999-04-20  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Better (or at least more) information.  The one that just happened was
a case where fetchmail had fetched 3 messages; gnus did sort them into
the right newsgroups, and I did read them there, but for some reason
it also left an Incoming file in the Mail directory.  I diffed the
last message in the "ding" directory with the version in the Incoming*
file; this diff output is below.

I have both fetchmail and qmail putting information into system logs;
they look perfectly normal to me.

diff -c 2525 ../Incomingh30949
*** 2525	Mon Apr 19 15:59:18 1999
--- ../Incomingh30949	Mon Apr 19 15:59:17 1999
***************
*** 1,4 ****

<two non-ding messages, in the Incoming file, but not the file as
written to ding stripped out>

! From owner-ding@hpc.uh.edu Mon Apr 19 19:55:34 1999
  From: Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com>
  Date: 19 Apr 1999 15:53:21 -0400
  From: Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com>
  Date: 19 Apr 1999 15:53:21 -0400

  Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> wrote:

--- 178,183 ----

> [...]

    me> I just noticed that I have a lot of files with names like
    me> Incomingh12627 in my ~/Mail directory.  They have dates that
    me> go back to about when I started using pgnus instead of
    me> gnus-5.6.45.  (originally .80, now I'm up to .83; some have
    me> happened this morning under .83).

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097

* Re: [lconrad@world.std.com] Re: lots of Incoming* files in Mail directory
       [not found] <m31zhgrnsn.fsf@serpent.laymusic.>
@ 1999-06-12  2:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-06-12  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

lconrad@world.std.com writes:

> Better (or at least more) information.  The one that just happened was
> a case where fetchmail had fetched 3 messages; gnus did sort them into
> the right newsgroups, and I did read them there, but for some reason
> it also left an Incoming file in the Mail directory.

Yes, alpha versions of Gnus are supposed to save all incoming mail in
the Incoming* files.  For safekeeping, in case something went wrong.
Just delete them as your disks run full.