* nnimap split-rule and split-fancy
@ 2003-05-31 19:03 John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2003-05-31 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Surely a dumb question, but I don't have it working correctly ...

I have several different mail spool files that I would like to
consider as a single logical mailbox. nnimap-split-inbox seems to do
this quite well:

      nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX" "*.incoming")

And nnimap-split-fancy also seems to work OK for me:

      nnimap-split-fancy
      '(|
      ("subject" "test1" "mailbox1")
      ("subject" "test2" "mailbox2")
      ("subject" "test3" "mailbox3")
      "unsorted")

The problem I have is mapping the inboxes to the splitting, which I
understand should be done with nnimap-split-rule. I want to call the
same split-fancy rule on every one of my split inboxes. I haven't
figured out what to set for nnimap-split-rule yet. Right now I have

      nnimap-split-rule 'nnimap-split-fancy

but I've also tried

      nnimap-split-rule '((".*"    (".*" nnimap-split-fancy)))

with no success. I've been able to split from INBOX but not from the
*.incoming boxes. Suggestions as to how to set nnimap-split-rule?
Thanks.

JDO

* Re: nnimap split-rule and split-fancy
@ 2003-05-31 19:25 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-05-31 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

John Owens <jowens@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Surely a dumb question, but I don't have it working correctly ...
>
> I have several different mail spool files that I would like to
> consider as a single logical mailbox. nnimap-split-inbox seems to do
> this quite well:
>
>       nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX" "*.incoming")

Do you have a mailbox named *.incoming?  Wildcards are not supported.

> And nnimap-split-fancy also seems to work OK for me:
>
>       nnimap-split-fancy
>       '(|
>       ("subject" "test1" "mailbox1")
>       ("subject" "test2" "mailbox2")
>       ("subject" "test3" "mailbox3")
>       "unsorted")
>
> The problem I have is mapping the inboxes to the splitting, which I
> understand should be done with nnimap-split-rule.

Yup.  Inbox-specific splitting is only possible with
nnimap-split-rule, fancy splitting does not support it.

> I want to call the same split-fancy rule on every one of my split
> inboxes.

Then you don't need inbox-specific splitting at all?

> I haven't figured out what to set for nnimap-split-rule yet. Right
> now I have
>
>       nnimap-split-rule 'nnimap-split-fancy
>
> but I've also tried
>
>       nnimap-split-rule '((".*"    (".*" nnimap-split-fancy)))
>
> with no success. I've been able to split from INBOX but not from the
> *.incoming boxes. Suggestions as to how to set nnimap-split-rule?

Both should work.  But I suspect the reason *.incoming doesn't work is
because there is no mailbox named *.incoming.

* Re: nnimap split-rule and split-fancy
@ 2003-05-31 19:54   ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2003-05-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: John Owens, ding

Simon Josefsson writes:
    John Owens <jowens@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

    > Surely a dumb question, but I don't have it working correctly ...
    >
    > I have several different mail spool files that I would like to
    > consider as a single logical mailbox. nnimap-split-inbox seems to do
    > this quite well:
    >
    >       nnimap-split-inbox '("INBOX" "*.incoming")

    Do you have a mailbox named *.incoming?  Wildcards are not supported.

No. I have a bulk.incoming and a spam.incoming. Listing them
explicitly makes this work fine if I use nnimap-split-rule set to
nnimap-split-fancy. Woo hoo!

    Yup.  Inbox-specific splitting is only possible with
    nnimap-split-rule, fancy splitting does not support it.

    Then you don't need inbox-specific splitting at all?

Correct, I would like all named inboxes treated as one logical inbox.
Thanks! One more piece of the puzzle toward getting this working.

JDO