* gnus' strange message-id again
@ 1996-08-15 10:00 Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1996-08-15 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars, I'm sorry to say this, but I really wish gnus' message-id
contained the sender's user name.  This makes it simple to kill threads
started by someone one don't want to listen to (but who uses gnus), and
it makes it easier for Gnus users to recognize responses to their own
posts.  In both cases, check if References: contains
"<username\\..*@.*\\<domain>".  (For e-mail, also check if In-Reply-To:
contains either that or the sender's e-mail address or name.)

Regards,

Hallvard

* Re: gnus' strange message-id again
@ 1996-08-15 10:14 ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-08-15 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:
> Lars, I'm sorry to say this, but I really wish gnus' message-id
> contained the sender's user name.

Press C-x C-e at the end of this expression:

	(message-number-base36 (user-uid) -1)

That's the prefix your messages get.  Mine is 0f, which is why the
following Perl Regexp uniquely matches my Message-ID's:

	/<0f\w+\.fsf(_-_)?\@[\w\-]+\.daimi\.aau\.dk>/

> This makes it simple to kill threads started by someone one don't want
> to listen to (but who uses gnus),

So use the 2 or 3 first chars of their Message-ID.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen
<URL:http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~gnort/>  <URL:mailto:lars@rasmussen.org>

* Re: gnus' strange message-id again
@ 1996-08-15 10:33   ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1996-08-15 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Balker Rasmussen <gnort@daimi.aau.dk> writes:
>Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:
>> Lars, I'm sorry to say this, but I really wish gnus' message-id
>> contained the sender's user name.
>
> Press C-x C-e at the end of this expression:
>
> 	(message-number-base36 (user-uid) -1)
>
> That's the prefix your messages get.

Yes, it's easy for someone who knows Gnus internals.  Andy you could
document it -- that will help people find responses to their own
articles.
But Gnus doc does not help a non-Gnus-user who want to kill a
Gnus-user's threads.  Or a Gnus user who thinks the doc is far too big
to read all of it.  OTOH, the common rule that Message Id's look like
<username.something@domain> can be discovered even by a naive user who
doesn't know anything about the poster's news agent.

@ 1996-08-15 10:34   ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 1996-08-15 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I wrote:

> Yes, it's easy for someone who knows Gnus internals.  Andy you could

oops, please ignore the "y" in "Andy".

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-15 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> Yes, it's easy for someone who knows Gnus internals.  And you could
> document it -- that will help people find responses to their own
> articles.

I've now documented it.

> But Gnus doc does not help a non-Gnus-user who want to kill a
> Gnus-user's threads.  Or a Gnus user who thinks the doc is far too big
> to read all of it.  OTOH, the common rule that Message Id's look like
> <username.something@domain> can be discovered even by a naive user who
> doesn't know anything about the poster's news agent.

Well, not really.  Most Message-IDs are generated by the nntp server
and has nothing to identify the user (at *all*) in them.

Off the top of my head, then only two newsreaders that put the user
name into the Message-ID are GNUS 4.1 and slrn.  I'm probably wrong
here, though.

I think the need for brevity in the Message-ID is more important than
making it easier for people to score on it.