* Red GNUS on NT Emacs
@ 1996-11-14 16:44 Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1996-11-14 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

If anyone is successfully running RGnus on NTEmacs, I would be
interested in hearing from them.  I attempted to install it, but it
died a rude death.   Even after setting the variables it complained
about it didn't work (like the jingle and startup page)

Is there an upgrade FAQ for upgrading from 5.3 (released with Emacs
19.34)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Brian Gorka
gorkab@c2.net

* Re: Red GNUS on NT Emacs
@ 1996-11-14 19:30 ` Mark Denovich
From: Mark Denovich @ 1996-11-14 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

NTEmacs 19.34 + RedGnus .60 has been working perfectly without
modification for me.  Nothing fancy in my .emacs either.

I didn't have make so I just ran the batch byte compile myself
using the arguments given in the makefile.  Simple as can be.

I now nolonger regret the switch from Linux to NT now that I
have emacs + gnus.  If only emacs were multi-threaded...

	--Mark

* Re: Red GNUS on NT Emacs
@ 1996-11-14 20:22 ` Michael Maxie (CTR)
From: Michael Maxie (CTR) @ 1996-11-14 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

BG> If anyone is successfully running RGnus on NTEmacs, I would be
BG> interested in hearing from them.  I attempted to install it, but
BG> it died a rude death.  Even after setting the variables it
BG> complained about it didn't work (like the jingle and startup page)

BG> Is there an upgrade FAQ for upgrading from 5.3 (released with
BG> Emacs 19.34)?

I'm running rgnus v0.60 on NT/3.51 using emacs 19.34.  As expected
the the make files didn't work, so I did the byte compiles by hand
and created the info files by hand.  2 files didn't byte compile
(Don't have the names with me right now).  I was able to read news,
but was unable to post.  I was running straight out of the box with
no mail address set or domain defined.  I don't foresee a problem
posting once I set the proper variables.

--
Michael Maxie					maxie@acm.org
Software Engineer				maxie@crl.com

* Re: Red GNUS on NT Emacs
@ 1996-11-14 20:49   ` Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1996-11-14 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gorkab, ding

    Mark> NTEmacs 19.34 + RedGnus .60 has been working perfectly
    Mark> without modification for me.  Nothing fancy in my .emacs
    Mark> either.

I got it to work...  I edited the makefile to use tcsh instead of sh,
using the fully qualified path.  Sigh.  It worked.  My mistake before
was that I plopped it over Gnus 5.3 (which I guess is a big nono) and
did a byte-recompile-directory...

    Mark> I didn't have make so I just ran the batch byte compile
    Mark> myself using the arguments given in the makefile.  Simple as
    Mark> can be.

    Mark> I now nolonger regret the switch from Linux to NT now that I
    Mark> have emacs + gnus.  If only emacs were multi-threaded...

Tell me about it.  I've been using (NT) for over a year (even before
subprocess support) and it seriously needs to be able to do two things
at once.

    Mark> 	--Mark

Thanks for the help.

Did you get the texinfo files to work?

* Re: Red GNUS on NT Emacs
@ 1996-11-14 20:53   ` Brian Gorka
From: Brian Gorka @ 1996-11-14 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gorkab, ding

    Michael> I'm running rgnus v0.60 on NT/3.51 using emacs 19.34.  As
    Michael> expected the the make files didn't work, so I did the
    Michael> byte compiles by hand and created the info files by hand.
    Michael> 2 files didn't byte compile (Don't have the names with me
    Michael> right now).  I was able to read news, but was unable to
    Michael> post.  I was running straight out of the box with no mail
    Michael> address set or domain defined.  I don't foresee a problem
    Michael> posting once I set the proper variables.

I got it working using cygnus make and tcsh.  I fucked myself before
by copying into my main lisp directory and byte-compiling the dir
again.  This killed Gnus entirely.  Since I was working on another
copy that had things separated into lisp and site lisp, I just clamped
down annd made it work...

How did you make the info files by hand?  That's the only thing that
irritates me about installing new lisp things... No integrated help.

--
Brian Gorka
gorkab@c2.net