From: Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
Subject: future wishes - ACAP and LDAP support
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 18:40:07 -0400	[thread overview]

Since there is discussion of IMAP support, I thought
I would discuss a couple related protocols to consider.

IMAP has a companion protocol called ACAP
(http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus/acap/).
ACAP is a lightweight protocol designed to allow you to
retrieve configuration information from a server.
This is very nice if you wish to use IMAP from multiple
different machines (work, home, laptop, etc) and wish to
easily keep your mail configuration the same on every
machine.

Even though ACAP is very useful for IMAP, it would have
utility outside of IMAP (and Gnus).  Maybe we could design
a general ACAP library for (X)Emacs.

Also, many IMAP implementations have LDAP support (I don't
have a URL handy).  This is another protocol that would be
useful for Gnus, but have utility outside of Gnus.

Any comments?

--
Richard Coleman
coleman@math.gatech.edu