* gnus-post-method
@ 1998-02-08  4:33 Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1998-02-08  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

so my newsrc currently has 3 different news servers with
about 20 groups from each.  since all these groups are local
to the servers, I want gnus to use the right server when I
post an article.  and I don't want to have to give a prefix
arg to C-c C-c all the time.

what's the easiest way?  I really don't want to edit the
group parameters for every group.

general note.  I'm really not too happy with the way gnus
handles multiple nntp servers..  I'd prefer a
server-hierarchical structure kinda like what netscape does,
rather than the weirdo thing that gnus does now.

this sounds like a major change.  I can probably put time
into it if anyone thinks this is good and doable.  is it?

* Re: gnus-post-method
@ 1998-02-08 16:07 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-08 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com> writes:

> so my newsrc currently has 3 different news servers with
> about 20 groups from each.  since all these groups are local
> to the servers, I want gnus to use the right server when I
> post an article.  and I don't want to have to give a prefix
> arg to C-c C-c all the time.
>
> what's the easiest way?

Bind `C-c C-c' to a command that gives the prefix automatically.

> general note.  I'm really not too happy with the way gnus
> handles multiple nntp servers..  I'd prefer a
> server-hierarchical structure kinda like what netscape does,
> rather than the weirdo thing that gnus does now.
>
> this sounds like a major change.  I can probably put time
> into it if anyone thinks this is good and doable.  is it?

I think so.  One could start in the server buffer, and then hitting
RET on a server could enter you into a group buffer that is limited to
the groups that exist on that server.  Shouldn't be too much work.

* Re: gnus-post-method
@ 1998-02-10  8:34   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-10  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com> writes:
>> so my newsrc currently has 3 different news servers with
>> about 20 groups from each.  since all these groups are local
>> to the servers, I want gnus to use the right server when I
>> post an article.  and I don't want to have to give a prefix
>> arg to C-c C-c all the time.
>>
>> what's the easiest way?

> Bind `C-c C-c' to a command that gives the prefix automatically.

Something like this, perhaps (in ~/.emacs or ~/.gnus):

;; Hack for posting on foreign servers
(add-hook 'message-setup-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (local-set-key "\C-c\C-c" 'message-send-and-exit-with-prefix)))

(defun message-send-and-exit-with-prefix ()
  "Call the message-send-and-exit function with a positive number argument
to make it post the message on the foreign NNTP server of a group, instead
of the default NNTP server"
  (interactive)
  (message-send-and-exit 1))