* What does this error message mean ?
@ 1999-12-29 19:20 Pieter Wenk
       [not found] ` <muxvh5hfs72.fsf@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr>
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-29 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello to all:

It happens, that I am getting:

variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size.

Result it becomes impossible to hit F or N in order
to send follow-up messages.

Why does this happen and how to correct ?

I this a "special feature" in order keeping people
happy ?

Many thanks for your help
--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __
      Pieter Wenk         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  Vevey/Switzerland

* Re: What does this error message mean ?
       [not found] ` <muxvh5hfs72.fsf@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr>
@ 1999-12-29 19:58   ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On mer, 29 déc 1999, Didier Verna wrote:

>Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> wrote:
>
>> It happens, that I am getting:
>>
>> variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size.
>
>        This variable indicates the max number of lisp variables that can be
>bound at the same time. Try to increase it.

Thanks a lot.

I started in fact to use Xemacs/gnus recently. How do you
increase this number ???

Were ?

Secondly, it happens often that I am getting also
the message:

nnspool: References header too long (Article not posted).

I have of course no influence on such headers and would
like to able answering.

What do I have to do in order to correct this. ?

I wish to all of this group a happy and prosper
New Year.

Regards
--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __

@ 1999-12-29 20:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-29 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:

> variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size.

This is a measure against infinite loops, I think.  It seems that
demanding Lisp packages sometimes need more than the normal limit.
You could try increasing the number: (setq max-specpdl-size 9999)

kai

* Re: What does this error message mean ?
@ 1999-12-30  6:30   ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-30  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On mer, 29 déc 1999, Kai Großjohann wrote:

>Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:
>
>> variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size.
>
>This is a measure against infinite loops, I think.  It seems that
>demanding Lisp packages sometimes need more than the normal limit.
>You could try increasing the number: (setq max-specpdl-size 9999)

Thanks a lot. Will add this to my ~/.gnus

Now I am also getting another message:

nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted).

Stefanie Teufel, advised me, that this might be a bug.

Any idea how to correct this ?

Many thanks for your help

--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __

@ 1999-12-30  7:09     ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1999-12-30  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 07:30:11 +0100, Pieter Wenk wrote:

> nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted). Stefanie
> Teufel, advised me, that this might be a bug. Any idea how to correct
> this ?

Hmmm, I'm not sure, but I mean I read something about broken
references, a possible bug etc. only a few weeks ago on the list. Am I
wrong?

happy new year

Stefanie
--
alt.sex.alt.syntax.tactical       No description.

* nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30  7:50     ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-30  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello to all,

What kind of new great feature is

Reference header too long (article not posted)

How can I correct this error message as it makes it
absolutly impossible posting follow-up messages.

Like this, gnus 5.8.2 can not be used.....

Many thanks for your help....

Regards
--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __
      Pieter Wenk         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  Vevey/Switzerland
                         /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\

* Re: nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30 13:08       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-30 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:

> Reference header too long (article not posted)

I think this is a message that comes from your inews program and not
from Gnus.  I looked in the Gnus *.el files and couldn't find
`reference header' nor `too long' (case insensitively).

Can you use nntp rather than nnspool as a select method?

kai

* Re: nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30 17:22         ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-30 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On jeu, 30 déc 1999, Kai Großjohann wrote:

Hello Kai,

>> Reference header too long (article not posted)
>
>I think this is a message that comes from your inews program and not
>from Gnus.  I looked in the Gnus *.el files and couldn't find
>`reference header' nor `too long' (case insensitively).
>
>Can you use nntp rather than nnspool as a select method?

I have:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))

in ~/.gnus

And with "this" setting am getting the above error !

Do you have any idea why ?

Like this it's really akward using gnus....

Many thanks for your help

Regards
--

@ 2000-01-03 10:20           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-03 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))
>
> And with "this" setting am getting the above error !

Maybe it would be best to tell message to fold long references lines.
See the variable message-cater-to-broken-inn.

kai