* Re: nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30 20:44 Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-30 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On jeu, 30 déc 1999, Kai Großjohann wrote:

Hello to all

This nifty "great" feature:  Reference header too long (article not posted),
is really able motivating to some frank, harsh well known words.

Every third message (follow ups), I get the above
absolute unpleasant message. Really, that thing can
really go on your ner

How is this to correct....
--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __
      Pieter Wenk         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  Vevey/Switzerland

* Re: nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30 21:01 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-12-30 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

As others have already pointed out, that message appears to be coming
from your news software, not gnus itself.  It seems the easiest thing
would be to pare down the references header when you edit your
message.  You could probably write a hook to do so, or maybe
modify/advise message-shorten-references with a smaller limit.  Or get
better news software.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30 21:22   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 1999-12-30 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <dsg@mitre.org> writes:

> As others have already pointed out, that message appears to be coming
> from your news software, not gnus itself.  It seems the easiest thing
> would be to pare down the references header when you edit your message.
> You could probably write a hook to do so, or maybe modify/advise
> message-shorten-references with a smaller limit.  Or get better news
> software.

If the problem is that the References header is over 1024 characters on a
single line, you definitely don't want "better" news software where better
is defined as news software that will post that, since your article would
end up getting dropped at other sites.

A better solution would be to set message-cater-to-broken-inn to nil so
that Gnus will fold the References header.  Anyone running that old of a
version of INN should upgrade anyway.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30 21:24 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1999-12-30 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:

> This nifty "great" feature:  Reference header too long (article not posted),
> is really able motivating to some frank, harsh well known words.

Well, it seems the consensus is it's not Gnus's fault, it's your
newsserver's fault.  You could always try complaining there.  It
probably wouldn't help.  8^)

It seems Gnus already tries to keep Reference headers below some
limits.  Those aren't currently configurable, but you could change
message-shorten-references in message.el to have a lower maxcount.
Someone with more time might change that to be configurable...

All work and no pay makes a housewife.

* Re: nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30 23:40   ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-30 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On jeu, 30 déc 1999, David S. Goldberg wrote:

>As others have already pointed out, that message appears to be coming
>from your news software, not gnus itself.  It seems the easiest thing
>would be to pare down the references header when you edit your
>message.  You could probably write a hook to do so, or maybe
>modify/advise message-shorten-references with a smaller limit.  Or get
>better news software.

I am using leafnode..."latest" version. What should be wrong
with that ?

I have no idea (yet) how to write such a hook....

Happy New Year

--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __

@ 1999-12-30 23:47   ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-30 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On jeu, 30 déc 1999, Alan Shutko wrote:

>Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:
>
>> This nifty "great" feature:  Reference header too long (article not posted),
>> is really able motivating to some frank, harsh well known words.
>
>Well, it seems the consensus is it's not Gnus's fault, it's your
>newsserver's fault.  You could always try complaining there.  It
>probably wouldn't help.  8^)
>
>It seems Gnus already tries to keep Reference headers below some
>limits.  Those aren't currently configurable, but you could change
>message-shorten-references in message.el to have a lower maxcount.
>Someone with more time might change that to be configurable...

I am using leafnode, latest version which is 1.9.7...

Strange..with my older gnus version, I had "NOT" these
problems...perhaps somebody is able to tell me why,
this upgraded 5.8.2 Version is behaving like this ?

Regards
--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __

@ 2000-01-03 10:20           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-03 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))
>
> And with "this" setting am getting the above error !

Maybe it would be best to tell message to fold long references lines.
See the variable message-cater-to-broken-inn.

kai

* Re: nnspool: Reference header too long (article not posted)
@ 1999-12-30 17:22         ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-30 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On jeu, 30 déc 1999, Kai Großjohann wrote:

Hello Kai,

>> Reference header too long (article not posted)
>
>I think this is a message that comes from your inews program and not
>from Gnus.  I looked in the Gnus *.el files and couldn't find
>`reference header' nor `too long' (case insensitively).
>
>Can you use nntp rather than nnspool as a select method?

I have:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))

in ~/.gnus

And with "this" setting am getting the above error !

Do you have any idea why ?

Like this it's really akward using gnus....

Many thanks for your help

Regards
--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __

@ 1999-12-30 13:08       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-30 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 1999-12-30  7:50     ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 1999-12-30  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello to all,

What kind of new great feature is

Reference header too long (article not posted)

How can I correct this error message as it makes it
absolutly impossible posting follow-up messages.

Like this, gnus 5.8.2 can not be used.....

Many thanks for your help....

Regards
--