* lisp nesting exceeds 'max-eval-depth
@ 2000-01-16 19:44 Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 2000-01-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello to all,

It happens, that I am getting:

 lisp nesting exceeds 'max-eval-depth

How can I correct this. Kai suggested I am adding in
~/.emacs  (setq max-specpdl-size 9999)

what I have done...

Unfortunately the problem is not solved.

Any ideas what I have to do ?

Many thanks

Regards
--

                           / /  (_)____ __ ____  __
      Pieter Wenk         / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  Vevey/Switzerland

* Re: lisp nesting exceeds 'max-eval-depth
@ 2000-01-17  6:55 ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 2000-01-17  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:

> It happens, that I am getting:
>
>  lisp nesting exceeds 'max-eval-depth
>
> How can I correct this. Kai suggested I am adding in
> ~/.emacs  (setq max-specpdl-size 9999)
>
> what I have done...
>
> Unfortunately the problem is not solved.
>
> Any ideas what I have to do ?

`max-eval-depth' exists to protect against infinite recursion.  What
this error message means in this case is that emacs's call stack has
reached a depth of 9999.  This is an unlikely depth for normal usage
of gnus.  (I run with a `max-eval-depth' of 1500 with no problems.)
What are you trying to do when the problem occurs?  Try setting
`debug-on-error' to t and see if the resulting backtrace looks like a
case of infinite recursion.  If you think this is still a Gnus related
problem, post the repeating bit of the backtrace here.

--
Michael Duggan
(md5i@cs.cmu.edu)

* Re: lisp nesting exceeds 'max-eval-depth
@ 2000-01-17  7:03   ` Pieter Wenk
From: Pieter Wenk @ 2000-01-17  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On lun, 17 jan 2000, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:

>Pieter Wenk <pwenk@urbanet.ch> writes:
>
>> It happens, that I am getting:
>>
>>  lisp nesting exceeds 'max-eval-depth
>>
>> How can I correct this. Kai suggested I am adding in
>> ~/.emacs  (setq max-specpdl-size 9999)
>>
>> what I have done...
>>
>> Unfortunately the problem is not solved.
>>
>> Any ideas what I have to do ?
>
>`max-eval-depth' exists to protect against infinite recursion.  What
>this error message means in this case is that emacs's call stack has
>reached a depth of 9999.  This is an unlikely depth for normal usage
>of gnus.  (I run with a `max-eval-depth' of 1500 with no problems.)
>What are you trying to do when the problem occurs?  Try setting
>`debug-on-error' to t and see if the resulting backtrace looks like a
>case of infinite recursion.  If you think this is still a Gnus related
>problem, post the repeating bit of the backtrace here.

In fact, I do nothing special...just reading news.
Shall set debug on error and will let you know backtrace.

Regards
--